• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would u buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bengan

I am buying a new system... $$$ I've got lots of.
What would u buy? I'm a gamer. Want the best performance and some nice O/C.
Don't really know what to buy to get the best performance in the coming games.... thanks dudes

you really want a new system to replace the one in your sig :eek:

umm go with a 3.0c or 3.2c and prometia for 4ghz +... umm 9800pro or 5900ultra... or wait for the 9900 and nvidias new card. get some power cooling on that to really oc...

Seriously, you want to replace the sytem in your sig?!? I would keep that system for a while. Could probably run HL2/doom3 with maybe a few upgrades...

*Off Topic* Derivative you live in riverside?? Do you got to UCR or do you just live there/high school?

Yeah if you can afford it, get a mach 1 + 3.2c

If you do everything right, you may hit around 4.1-4.3 stable

If you really want to go all out, fill the prommy with r404:D

you have a great system. About the only thing to upgrade if you're a gamer is maybe RAM and vid card. How much RAM do you have and how fast is the RAM? If you have less than 1 gig of RAM, then get more. If the RAM is slower than PC3500, then get faster so you can run the 5:4 ratio. If you don't have the 9800 Pro, then you can upgrade the vid card. Other than that, you are ok.

If you are wanting to upgrade what you have, I would suggest holding off until the new Prescott is released. I keep a good :drool: going over the 1Mb cache. Then add a Prommi to keep that hot prescott core cool.

You already have the 2-3rd best videocard made by the best manafacturer available so i would leave that alone.

You can get some nice Pc3700 or Pc4000 ram and run that in dual channel mode.

If you want more speed here are a few options:
Keep your 2.4c and upgrade to watercooling that will give you ~300more mhz.

You can also get a Prometeia or a Vapochill (I just bought a vapo this week) and try to oc your chip even more.

Do NOT get a new CPU. Instead go with a Vapochill or a Prometeia Mach II and wait for the Prescott/Athlon64 to come out and get a bit cheaper and then get one.

Don't buy a prommy mach I their not a good investment because they do not support any good P4 motherboards unless the motherboard is volt modded. Mach I is about to be discontinued very soon anyway so you won't be having as much support. Mach II is fully compatible with all motherboards and Vapochill Pe and Xe and not as old as the prommy so you will still have great tech support (not that you need it) and great motherboard support. Vapochill and Abit have a partnership and are working togethor to take ocing to the next level. But a Prommy Mach II is better ofcourse but costs close to $500 more.

oooh fanboy for ati urge rising.... must pull out benchmarks of new tombraider game showing a 5900 ultra getting sh*t kicked by a 9700 pro.... brb watch for the edit :) oh a 5200 beats a 5600 in the benching process too, all a 5600 is, is a oc'd 5200 :).

Edit: Link to Tomb Raider bench's OH this is also a Nvidia sponsored game so it has cg helping out the ti4900 oops i mean fx 5900 :p.

Link: http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/traod_dx9perf/

Thanks man.
My ram really sux man... It's ocz tech pc3500 433 mhz cas2 memory...
But it does only 425 mhz in cl 2,5.3.3.7. And it's 2x256...
My vid card doesen't OC very very much... the mem clock is at 371... then its full of artifacts...
It's a sapphire 9800pro...
How do I change the ratio? I'm on p4c800... am thinking of buying ic7-max3... is this a very good mobo?
I was thinking of selling some parts and get ****ing good parts instead... is the corsair TWINX pc4000 500 mhz cl3 any good?
hercules 9800pro better than sapphire 9800pro? oc more?
how do I reach 390 mem clock with 9800? can i do that? thanks... man...

batboy said:
you have a great system. About the only thing to upgrade if you're a gamer is maybe RAM and vid card. How much RAM do you have and how fast is the RAM? If you have less than 1 gig of RAM, then get more. If the RAM is slower than PC3500, then get faster so you can run the 5:4 ratio. If you don't have the 9800 Pro, then you can upgrade the vid card. Other than that, you are ok.

U really sure i will reach 4.1-4.3 stable?
can I be very unlucky and get sucky?
and whats r404... extreme ****er in the *** cooling or what? :) sounds cool to me hehe...
I saw the winner of the O/C in p4 stuff had r404 or something =)

Ununquadium114 said:
Yeah if you can afford it, get a mach 1 + 3.2c

If you do everything right, you may hit around 4.1-4.3 stable

If you really want to go all out, fill the prommy with r404:D

Oh really... but... I can't even boot with 3.3 ghz... The highest I can boot in is 3.25 ghz... why? :/ because the heat? it says its like 45c in the bios... 28c idle in windows...
will it O/C more with waterchill or something?
Is not the vapochill unstable or something? they say changing from air to compressor cooling isn't good... well dunno...

CrashOv3r1De said:
You already have the 2-3rd best videocard made by the best manafacturer available so i would leave that alone.

You can get some nice Pc3700 or Pc4000 ram and run that in dual channel mode.

If you want more speed here are a few options:
Keep your 2.4c and upgrade to watercooling that will give you ~300more mhz.

You can also get a Prometeia or a Vapochill (I just bought a vapo this week) and try to oc your chip even more.

Do NOT get a new CPU. Instead go with a Vapochill or a Prometeia Mach II and wait for the Prescott/Athlon64 to come out and get a bit cheaper and then get one.

Don't buy a prommy mach I their not a good investment because they do not support any good P4 motherboards unless the motherboard is volt modded. Mach I is about to be discontinued very soon anyway so you won't be having as much support. Mach II is fully compatible with all motherboards and Vapochill Pe and Xe and not as old as the prommy so you will still have great tech support (not that you need it) and great motherboard support. Vapochill and Abit have a partnership and are working togethor to take ocing to the next level. But a Prommy Mach II is better ofcourse but costs close to $500 more.

Back