• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Directory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

Bit of a dumb question to be honest but im just cureous as to how people arrange there home directory. I.e. do you install your games and documents there? or another directory. As you can tell im a n00b to linux up until now ive just been dumping most stuff on the desktop, i UT2k3 is screemign to be installed and im wondering were the best place to install it to is.....:eek: :p

Generally, the stuff in my home directory are documents and things of that nature, not executables (the only exception being programs I'm working on). Programs that you want to be available system wide should be installed in a location that user's have in their $PATH, such as /usr/local/bin. You'll need superuser privledges for that.

You might want to check out the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. It shows the standard locations for various types of files.

Back