• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512MB Buffalo PC3700 $103 or Mushkin PC3200 $139?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

NewEgg is selling 512MB Buffalo PC3700 for $103 shipped and Mushkin is selling 512MB Mushkin PC3200 for $139 shipped. Both apparently use Winbond BH-5 chips and I'm aware the timings favor the Mushkin. I'm trying to decide which to buy yet it seems to me their overclocking performance would be similar.

Please advise what real world overclocking advantages I might see between these two with one of the new nForce2 boards like the Abit NF7-S? Thanks.

Buffalo PC3700

Mushkin PC3200

Edit: Also found ...

Hardcore Cooling has 512MB PC3500 for $130 with Winbond BH-5 chips, CAS 2.0.

Last edited:
I ordered a stick of pc-3200 from buffalo, so when I get it in I will be running several overclocking tests. I will post some results up if you want me to. I have heard buffalo is pretty good. Price for performance really cant be beat there.

my buffalo pc3700 is running in dual channel on my ic7 (2x512) and it cost 99 a stick not 103.. so update ur post ;)
right now im at 208 2 5 2 2 2.8v and i have had it like this for about a week. so its very nice ram for the price. ppl have reported higher fsb's at higher volts and single channel..

max

Lt. Max said:
my buffalo pc3700 is running in dual channel on my ic7 (2x512) and it cost 99 a stick not 103 ...

$103 is the correct shipped price.

Lt. Max said:
right now im at 208 2 5 2 2 2.8v and i have had it like this for about a week. so its very nice ram for the price. ppl have reported higher fsb's at higher volts and single channel..

Looks like the Buffalo PC3700 is a pretty strong contender.

I got the buffalo from newegg a couple of weeks ago and its not BH-5, its like CH-5 or something like that. Its in dual mode right now running at 220fsb with pretty relaxed timings. I like it so far, its a great deal for the price.

Warlord2 said:
I got the buffalo from newegg a couple of weeks ago and its not BH-5, its like CH-5 or something like that. Its in dual mode right now running at 220fsb with pretty relaxed timings. I like it so far, its a great deal for the price.

Can't argue with those results. So I wonder if there's much difference between the Buffalo PC3700 and these other two that cost more?

Top Hat Theater said:
Looks like Buffalo changed their 256MB modules to be BH5 chips as well. It used to be only the 512MB modules used BH5 chips while the 256MB modules used CH5

~THT

I don't know about this.. 3200 256 used to be BH-5 and switched to CH-5.. the 3700 has always been BH-5 as far as i know... If they keep making them i'm sure they will switch to CH-5 too..

Anyway.. get the Mushkin for sure, if it's not too late for that deal.. i think it's safe to say Buffalo dosen't have the best PCB or quality control and i have seen tons of people posting problems with the 3700.. never sen anyone satisfied with it. I have owned some Buffalo 3200 BH-5 and i was not thrilled about it.. didnt perform like some good pcb with BH-5 chips. If your looking for good BH-5 and don't want to spend 200$ on Mushkin level 2 than some HyperX 3000 2-2-2.. These are probably the only quality BH-5 left you can get besides the Mushkin lvl2.. I have some coming this week and macci from xs has some that does like 250+ 2-2-2 i believe

q149 said:

If your looking for good BH-5 and don't want to spend 200$ on Mushkin level 2 than some HyperX 3000 2-2-2.. These are probably the only quality BH-5 left you can get besides the Mushkin lvl2.. I have some coming this week and macci from xs has some that does like 250+ 2-2-2 i believe

To reiterate: you're saying Kingston PC3000 HyperX uses BH-5's? Do you know this for sure? Where are you getting yours from?

I've had my Buffalo ram upto 267 stable 24/7 at 2.85 volts. These sticks like Voltage. I have gone higher but i think my PSU starts to flake out. I can't vouch for Mushkin but i'm very happy with my Buffalo chips :)

Yeah, that's what i am saying. I can't guarantee you BH-5 chips but if you get the 2-2-2 version than i don't think it could even be anything else. Basically any good ram rated at 2-2-2 at low volts is going to be BH-5.. most if it's gone but newegg still has some 2-2-2 HyperX 3000 and 3200 maybe, they also have newer versions that cost less and use CH-5 so you have to watch out. I should get my 3000 Thursday and i'll see what happens.

267 5:4 is less than rated speed.

I havn't been able to get my ram over spec, but it's rated at CAS3 and i run it with much tighter timings. These read as PC2700 in CPU-Z So i'm assuming these just got picked to perform over that speed. Many others that have done the volt mod have said that Buffalo loves 3.1-3.2 vdimm to really get them to perform. I plan to do the volt mod this weekend if i have time. I'm just happy with price/performance. If you want the best performance get some Adata. Hands down best i've seen.

I have Buffalo PC3700 BH-5 256MB in dual-channel, 210MHz 6-2-2-2 stock voltage. I'm sure I could push them higher if I wanted, even without raising the voltage.

Back