• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Immersion Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok saw a few people are doing this, and i'm going to try my best as well. Only i'm going for style with performance second.

My plans: I'm going to build the acrylic casing for it myself instead of a fish tank or something. Right now i'm looking at using mineral oil. Instead of looping it out to a fridge or something like other people's ive seen i was planning on sending it through a radiator mounted infront of my tank.

A mental picture: The tank will be a U shape when looked at from above. The motherboard will be on the base of the U (turned sideways so the ports will be exposed above the "water" line). the radiator will be in the center of the U (nice perfect fit) and a pump will be in one of the arms of the U(maybe put a pump on each side of the radiator, any ideas?)

A few questions: Does anyone know how well mineral oil would work through a radiator? Should i use 1 pump or 2? Does the tank have to be air tight to protect the purity of the mineral oil? Any thing i'm over looking?

Right now i'm collecting parts for the build and making sure my plans will all work.

: ) :

Sounds like a cool project. I don't really have any advice, but good luck, and be sure to post some pics! :)

Firstly you will find it very hard to find a pump to circulate mineral oil around the tank because its viscosity is very different from water. and even if you did it would be expensive and add alot of wattage. also, for submertion you will need to replace all the capasitors on the motherboard with higher spec insulated ones.

use a pump, that pumps the water into a livewell on a boat (my friend uses one of these to circulate mineral oil and it works pretty good)

Back