• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got new W/C up, bit confused... (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

hmm i got my w/c set-up today, and i have to say it's gotta be THE single hardest thing i ever had to do on my computer!!

anyway 1st of all i noticed lots of very very very very small bubbles going from the pump outlet to the rad, like a jet of bubbles, and the same from rad to water block.... i dont know how much that will decrease the performance by? and how do i get rid of them???

also i'm not quiet sure excatly how tight i should have the water block aginst the cpu, i got the cascade block by cartha, it says in the manual 5 full 360deg. turns, but when do i start counting??

at the moment i have my 1700+ dlt3c at 2300mhz, at 1.75v and the temp now is 35C and i have stressed the cpu or anything, my w/c set-up is as follows...

below are some pics of my w/c set-up, please let me know if the temps im getting are normal, also room temp is at 23C...... if anything is not clear just ask.

mywc1.JPG

mywc2.JPG

mywc4.JPG

mywc3.JPG

Looks nice!! Your coolant is very milky looking...is that the air bubbles? I see that you have a plug in the top of your res....that extra head space should allow you to get rid of any trapped air. If it doesn't clear out after awhile I would assume that there is a micro leak somewhere...that would be my guess as to the source of the air bubbles.

arnoldma said:

also i'm not quiet sure excatly how tight i should have the water block aginst the cpu, i got the cascade block by cartha, it says in the manual 5 full 360deg. turns, but when do i start counting??

You start counting when you get down to the springs.

Looks good, except for the 90 going into the res. Ditching the res would probably help performance some.

a leak??? i hope not, i left it on for ages before puting it in for leak test and it was fine...

the milky looking might be the air bubbles or the water wetter, i put a little bit in and its made the water sorta pink.

would it be possible that the setup is creating bubbles? cuz the water inside the res. is very volient all the time...

turn it off and let it sit for a while. if it doesnt clear up (like in a few hours), then you might need to replace the liquid. i can liken your problem to this: think about when you have a barrel full of water and soap. if you keep stirring it, more bubbles will appear. it may have been your water wetter or something else, but it seems like the pump is getting air in it (or the mixture has too much air in it already) and agitating the liquid in your system (or else it would have cleared up by now)...

either way, i'd let the system sit for at least an hour if not more to see if it settles...if so, you should find quite a bit of air in your system that has come together in a few (or one if youre lucky) large bubbles. then you can get rid of them pretty easily...

-peter

i've let it settle over night last night and yeah i did see a few large bubbles, but as soon as i turn it back on it all becomes jets of small bubbles again! i have gotten rid quiet a bit by putting the res at the highest point etc... but theres still a bit left in there.

if i was to take all the water out how could i go about doing that without takeing the water block off maybe? cuz that was like the hardest thing i had to do... and i really dont wanna do it again...

one mroe question, when filling it, do i just fill up the res. i have with water then turn on the pump? and wait till the water lvl goes down then fill again? cuz i think i put some air in it when i 1st filled it...

thanks a lot, bye.

I've had experience with reservoirs in my last 3 water cooling setups. When you have the inlet and the outlet on your reservoir so close, it can create bubbles, vortexes, and other unwanted effects. The air in the water is being immediately recirculated through the outlet instead of being allowed to rise to the top of the reservoir. An easy to help with this problem is to place the inlet and outlets on the reservoir a further distance apart. Obviously, this won’t work on your current reservoir. The second way your problem is to put a sponge into the reservoir. It breaks up the inlet stream and reduces bubbles. Doing this, I can get 95+% of the air out of my system in les then a minute.

GET THIS:
sponge.jpg

Put a piece of sponge as semicycle said also it looks like the res is only about 2/3 full. Fill the res more along with the sponge and see if this helps. Also what pump is that? It looks like a 1250? If so that may be to short a loop for such a powerfull pump.

As for the springs I usually fully compress mine, but you may want to PM cathar to find the details on his spects.

what kinda sponge is that in the picture? it looks like one of those hard ones, like the blue one i got with my 1250 pump (a filter sponge). will any sort of sponge work? even the normal house hold ones?

also where would i put it? in the inlet side of res.? and how big? just big enough to cover the inlet hole?

lots of questions!! thanks!

arnoldma said:
what kinda sponge is that in the picture? it looks like one of those hard ones, like the blue one i got with my 1250 pump (a filter sponge). will any sort of sponge work? even the normal house hold ones?

also where would i put it? in the inlet side of res.? and how big? just big enough to cover the inlet hole?

lots of questions!! thanks!

It's just a normal cleaning sponge. You don't want to use the foam type sponge. Just cut the sponge to the size you need it.

sponge2.jpg

res4.jpg

This guy used a sponge too. Take a look:
http://www.thewarfields.com/img/HotRodPC/BorgCubeWaterCool/Img_2718.jpg

Back