• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a low buck, low wattage water kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoX Freak

This might sound a little silly, but ill give it a whirl...
My kid has an abit kt7a-raid with an athlon 1100 clocked to 1400 and he wants to see how fast he can go, but his current HS+F wont let him see above the 1400 mark. What he thinks he needs is a water cooling kit, but i told him its pretty much all hes gonna see out of an 1100.
But he insits on getting his hands dirty and trying water cooling. So i guess the question is this; where can he find a small water cooling kit that will fit in the case, be quiet, and not cost more than say $200.00, (thats all he has to spend, plus im kickin in a few bucks too). I found a Pentalpha Aqualia on ebay, but was outbid by a dollar-fifty in the last seconds.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, plus past experiences are also helpful.
Thanx
:cool:

You can build your own for about $200 and will be better than any kit. How big is the case this is going into? The biggest hurdle is where to fit the radiator... Once you find a good spot for it, then the rest is easy.

The case is a standard inwin ATX, with an opening in the front for an 80mm fan, and enough space for possibly a heatercore out of a chevette. the only problem i'll have is the waterblock, since the kt7a board doesn't have mounting holes to mount it to.

PoX Freak said:
The case is a standard inwin ATX, with an opening in the front for an 80mm fan, and enough space for possibly a heatercore out of a chevette. the only problem i'll have is the waterblock, since the kt7a board doesn't have mounting holes to mount it to.

The Swiftech MCW5002-A has good performance and a CPU socket mounting mechanism.

www.dtekcustoms.com
dtek spiral - 48$
via aqua - 23$
unpainted rad (Chevette heatercore) - 32$
supercool - 4$
clearflex - 6 feet - 9$
T-fitting - 1$

get a 120x38mm fan or get two for push/pull (about 10-15 a piece) and make a shroud of out cardboard and you have the whole high quality deal.

total - ~132$ with one 15$ fan

and you can take away the dollars that you are chipping in ;)

Careful what you ask you just may get a response ;) I think the best out of the box kit would be one of the Dtek's it has all top notch stuff, but much like everyone else in here I think DIY is the best way you have to put it all together anyway might as well be the best for less

OK, here's what ive been up to this weekend......
My son wanted me to build a waterblock from scratch...........so i did.
i used 1/8" high grade copper plate, a 2-1/2" piece of 1' copper pipe, some 3/8" copper flex tube, and the parts i had sitting around.
price for all the stuff was:
copper pipe, tubing, and plastic tubing = $8.54 home depot,
copper plate = $5.25 scrap steel house (would have been less, but theres a 2 pound minimum),
little giant pes-100 submersible pump = $5.00 used, at local flea,
"78 chevette heater core = $16.99,
labor to make it and put it together = my sons love for his father = free.
preliminary tests are bieng done on my rig, and i must have done it right, because this o/c is the highest ive gotten, way above air cooling.
Athlon XP 1700+ (1,466Mhz) running @ 2,321Mhz, 2.0 Vcore
other specs to come, because this kit's staying in mine, and a new ones getting built for my sons rig.

Back