• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just did the led molex mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandrock

And it came out quite well.

I was kind of following the guide at Metku mods, and they suggested an led with a brightness of 2000-3000 mcd, but I found that a 120 mcd led worked fine and produced plently of light.

Don't have any pics at the moment, and probably wont because I was just testing it on a junk PSU.

That's pretty neat, I've never heard of that before.

I would also go with a dim LED, because a small glow would look better than an extemely bright molex.

Here is a little tip I found to be useful...you know those quad LED fans? Well, get some of those real cheap from somewhere and just use the LED's out of them. If you get a good deal on the fan then you can save money and not have to pay like $1.50 per LED at say...Radioshack.

i'd try it ----- if i hadn't fried a PSU already doing it. turning on the psu while the connectors are off = NO

I like that... thats really cool. Something that not many people have done yet.

Just be careful to not file down into the inner workings of the LED... you could quickly kill it if you hit the circuitry.

SinsFeelNatural said:

Was there a light show? :eek:

just a spark. i didn't even try to turn it on again. just cannabalized the fan and junked it. probably still worked :( i didn't know that at the time though.

I Did something along those lines to a PSU Once, you just turn it off un plug it and let it sit for about 30 minutes and it typically ends up working again. (i think it's go a thermally resettable fuse or something).

My brother took a picture with his crappy webcam just after i had completed the mod. Its in the dark, and the focus is WAY off, but its a picture nonetheless.

Picture%20065.jpg

now what you need to do is rig this in SERIES with the wire so that the current going through the hard drive will turn it on. This will make it so you can mod all of the connectors and only the ones that are plugged into something will turn on :)

Back