Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!
Forum Jump

Finishing a WU on a different box?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 10:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
RideGuy

Question Finishing a WU on a different box?

On the weekend I lost my internet (not a huge suprise for anyone on Toronto Cable). During the network outage Rig2 ran out of work, while Rig1 was chugging along on 2 WUs (using HT).

Is there any problems with taking one of the WUs from Rig1 and finishing it on Rig2?

Thanks in advanced.
RideGuy

Old 09-02-03, 11:03 AM   #2
Fast420A

I have a USB key chain that I use to fold on a PC at work and I have finished it here at home on my rig when it was almost done and I had to come home so I don't see why not.

Old 09-02-03, 11:22 AM   #3
nikhsub1
Unoriginal Macho Moderator

10 Year Badge

Actually, this won't work. FAH uses 2048 bit encryption in the registry to verify each WU sent and received. They do this for our security and it has a side affect of not allowing rig 1 to complete a WU then transfer the work to rig 2 to send the work. It may say it sends but the work will be unusable to Stanford as the security keys are not right.

Old 09-02-03, 01:12 PM Thread Starter   #4
RideGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by nikhsub1
Actually, this won't work. FAH uses 2048 bit encryption in the registry to verify each WU sent and received. They do this for our security and it has a side affect of not allowing rig 1 to complete a WU then transfer the work to rig 2 to send the work. It may say it sends but the work will be unusable to Stanford as the security keys are not right.
OK, What if I catch the WU before Rig2 sends it and put it back on Rig1? I could change the config file so that it asks me before it sends.

Old 09-02-03, 01:26 PM   #5
nikhsub1
Unoriginal Macho Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by RideGuy

OK, What if I catch the WU before Rig2 sends it and put it back on Rig1? I could change the config file so that it asks me before it sends.
In theory, that should work... although i am not certain as to how the proggie deals with the registry. It may just get the key when it gets the WU, then only checked on sending or, it may check the key periodically.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!