• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just bought gold finger device, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GERRY136

thanx to all u guys for yourhelp.
i bought the gfd on ebay. i need to know how the hell im supposed to get the cover off my slot a cpu. then how can i attach a new hsf . do i just throw away the big metal cooling fin deal? and if i attach an aftermarket fan to the cpu how do i replace that stupid plastic cover? yes iman idiot so let me have it gentleman lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the main site, somewhere there is a link to how to take off the case. Throw away everything from the case, and buy a GOOD aftermarket hsf. Slap on the goldfingers device, set it at default multiplier, and boot up. If everything works ok, try raising and run Prime95 available@ www.octools.com If there are no errors and heat is ok, raise it up another notch. Unfortunately, I dont think you will be able to adjust your voltage, so don't expect too much out of that processor.

i have the same gateway setup-let me guess slot 600-huge silver HS attached with rivets, and a 120 with a shroud blowing out the side? First just pop the plastic clips on the side and dont worry bout breaking the top of the case off, itll be cooler with it off anyways, 2nd get rid of the HS and 120mm duct fan works good stock not good for OCing -I KNOW! Apply a good HSF, and use thermal grease-right now you have a thermal pad-also NOT GOOD! That will Drop your temps, remove the metal plate in the rear above the video card and put a fan there-youll see xactly where it goes-then use that 120 for air intake in the front bottom of the case. That might take awhile-once your satisfied with your setup you just clip the GFD to the 3/4inch of gold traces that are on the back of the chip and set the dip switched to what mhz you wnat and see if it posts, if not raise the voltage by 0.5 if you can, if not then up the FSB lower the multiplier, still no go just lower the multiplier and reboot

Hope this helps

thanks to all, but do not leave me now liquid!!!!!!!!!
we are joined at the hip!! thanx man ill get the gfd as soon as pay pal sends my confirmation. but for now im gonna mangle the plastic case. ive ben dying to look in there lol! dont worry i hold no one responsible for advice except budweiser and unauthorized days off!1 thanx again bro and please keep in touch!

How to crack open your case...

Can't find a 'crack-open-how-to', but on this place, you can find info on the retainment mechanism. I used 2 screwdrivers. Also, I located to points of the 4 pins first and started to drill holes in the cover right above them. Unfortunately, it did not really help, as the pins are thinner on the top and prevent you from drilling far enough. Succes on cracking it open!

Some more tips..

Other crack downs here and here. Well, I think you have enough info for now... Shouldn't be much of a problem, if you are going to remove your heatsinkplate too, try not to scratch your PCB. I've did it by accident some times, but no permanent damage. You really need some tiny screwdrivers to pry open the locks of that heatsinkplate. Good luck!

Popping off the case isn't too hard... Just use a flathead screwdriver...
You can also "notch" the case as well...
www.northwindcomputers.com has both guides for these methods...

Other than that just whack on your GFD & crank her up... What the L2 cache divider though...

I aint goin anywhere, ill help ya al that i can, i wanna see that setup do better than i did with mine-ill take some webcam pictures and send um to ya of the interior, and of the case mod that i did to it, Just ask whateva u need ill help

man i love this!!!!!! thaanx all for the info. i got the cover off and finally got a little first peek at that cpu!
lmao, my woman just waqlked in and said hello overclocker!!!! wait till i start diggin in her case lol!
ill keep everyone posted on what im doin. cant wait to get ur photos Likuid!!!

Hi there !!!!! Drop by on "tom's hardware" You'll find detailed info on how to "tweak" yor baby slot A. That's the way I used to get from 550 to 650 and will be 750 as soon as hsf gets better... ( the method I'm talking about is replacing a couple resistors on the processor's pcb itself) Works great. You only tamper with the multiplier and core voltage. No fsb messing around, for the moment, that is ...he he he

yes murphy im very interested in seeing your watercooled slot a but where will the pics be?
i should be gettin my temp probe, hsf, 2 80mm fans to day and the gfd in a feww days cause paypal verification takes forever!!!!!!!!! thanx all

Just one thing about the case of the classic Athlon, you dont need it anymore.. The CPU will hold without it..no problems here overclocker..
The GFD is the way to go
And don´t burn up your CPU :)

pics of system

GERRY136 (May 07, 2001 09:51 a.m.):
yes murphy im very interested in seeing your watercooled slot a but where will the pics be?
i should be gettin my temp probe, hsf, 2 80mm fans to day and the gfd in a feww days cause paypal verification takes forever!!!!!!!!! thanx all

Joris (camera guy) will come friday to take pictures of my watercooling, we are going to dissemble the block from the cpu and add arctic silver. Also do some dustcleaning (standard fans). Maybe we even re-fill the cirquit and do a corrosion check-up. Hope I get them on the forum saturday, still in doubt if I will post under cooling or alternative modding, maybe even AMD cpu's.

any thoughts?

i didnt use a screw driver to get my case off.. i used a butter knife.. it was thinner then my screwdriver and it popped my case off nicely..

thanx all!!!!! case is off but im still waitin for gfd. i will post in a few days with success or failure info lol.

Back