Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

how to network a winxp pc and a win2000 pc with a router???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 10:43 PM Thread Starter   #1
kev380

how to network a winxp pc and a win2000 pc with a router???

i tried to network those two computers, but didnt succeed. i first ran the network wizard on winxp pc and then on the win2000 pc. however, i dont see the shared files in MY NETWORK PLACES on my winxp computer. any idea?thanks.
kev380 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 11:01 AM   #2
RZA

10 Year Badge

Please provide more data. Where is a router located (in terms of network topology)? How do you access the Web? What are the IPs of your rigs, what is the workgroup?
RZA is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 01:31 PM   #3
srs

If all you want to do is network 2 PCs, then just get a crossover ethernet cable and plug it into the 2 Nics. Share the files you want to share and make sure the PCs are in the same workgroup and you're done. Forget the router for now.
srs is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 01:49 PM   #4
L337 M33P

Unless he wants to use the internet as well

You have to make sure that your IP addresses are manually given and the first 3 groups are the same on all, including the router. Usually they are in the format 192.168.xx.<insert machine here>. The 3rd group is usually set by the router default.

Also the workgroup on both computers must be the same.

To get the PCs to use the router for the internet, you have to specify the default gateway as the IP address of the router, and set the DNS servers' addresses box on the computers to whatever your ISP tells you. Assuming you have broadband, that is.
L337 M33P is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 10:17 PM   #5
niter
Registered

after you change the "workgroup" to the same name for both the xp and 2k rigs, then goto the "my network places" from the start menu on the xp computer. you should see your 2k computer. if you don't, click on "view workgroup computers" on the left window under "network tasks". good luck.
niter is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 11:26 PM   #6
roYal

don't forget, on a workgroup, each computer has its' own SAM (Security Accounts Manager). Therefore, if you're using on xp, username/pw of joe/blow, you have to add the user joe/blow to your 2k machine, and visa versa. Also, make sure you assign permissions to that user to the folder you want to share on windows xp. Windows XP doesn't have the group Everyone set as the ntfs permissions for everyone, Win2k does, however. You can always use simple filesharing, which should actually be enabled since you're in a workgroup, so all you have to do, is modify the share level permissions, which is already set to allow everyone. Everyone including guests, which is what the everyone group is for, which you can use by enabling the guest account, which means you don't have to be in the same workgroup to access the other groups resources. Hopefully this was throughough (however you spell it) enough for you. Cheers!

Hard Drives: 1 x 120gb Intel 320 ssd (System) / 1TB WD (Storage)
Cooling: TRUE w/Nexus 120mm
Video: EVGA GTX 580 SC
Monitor: 2x 24" Dell U2401 (1900x1200)
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer / Sennheiser HD595 Headphones
Power: Corsair HX620W
roYal is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-08-03, 09:13 PM   #7
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by L337 M33P
Unless he wants to use the internet as well

You have to make sure that your IP addresses are manually given and the first 3 groups are the same on all, including the router. Usually they are in the format 192.168.xx.<insert machine here>. The 3rd group is usually set by the router default.

Also the workgroup on both computers must be the same.

To get the PCs to use the router for the internet, you have to specify the default gateway as the IP address of the router, and set the DNS servers' addresses box on the computers to whatever your ISP tells you. Assuming you have broadband, that is.

They dont have to be manually assigned - likely his router will act as a DHCP server and do this for him.

all he needs to do is make sure the router and comps connected are all in the same workgroup. (router usually has an area to put in the workgroup name)

Also, i am not sure what router you are using but most routers you put in ALL of the info into the router (dns., gateway - all the info your isp gave you) and leave your comp to Auto get DNS and Ip and the router does all the work.

You can do it how you suggested, but setting most things to "auto" is easiest.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications