• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Barton 2500+ turned into a 3200+ ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

I went into my BIOS and changed my CPU from stock settings and upped the FSB to 200MHz so it was set the same as a 3200+. Then when I rebooted it said I had a 3200+ yet the first time I tried this overclock last week it said I had an Athlon XP @ 2200MHz. WCPUID, CPU-Z, My Computer properties, and 3DMark03 all say it is a 3200+. I thought the name string would not change with an overclock since it was like written onto the CPU. Another weird thing is it works perfectly overclocked like this, I did not adjust Vcore or anything else and my temperatures have only gone up by one degree. Is my 2500+ really a 3200+ in disguise?

No your proc is not a 3200+ in disguise. My 1700+ turns into a 2200+ when I go past 1.8GHZ. The board is just a little confused :D

I did not think the board had a list of CPUs with their settings and when you input the settings you wanted to run at it looked in its inbuilt list to check, I thought it just read the CPU name off the CPU itself.

Oh and another thing, in the BIOS it has options for the CPU speed, either 'user defined' for when you want to overclock and the other option was '2500+' but now it says '3200+' so that has changed aswell.

Btw, abits boards have it in BIOS all recognizable AMD XP/Barton settings/Names. Most AMD mobos will recognize the barton running on 200FSB as an xp3200 if multiplier is set correctly. again, your mobo is just doing that which was program to do.

now, shoot up the multi and get the XP3700, and then we'll talk.

:D

7h3r4py

You're right!

Motherboard bios has a list of CPUs with their settings and when you input the settings you want to run at, it looks in its inbuilt list to check what it is.

7keys said:
7h3r4py

You're right!

Motherboard bios has a list of CPUs with their settings and when you input the settings you want to run at, it looks in its inbuilt list to check what it is.

Really? I thought it just read the name string off the CPU.

7h3r4py said:
Really? I thought it just read the name string off the CPU.
Does such a thing exist?? I thought there isn't a built-in label, which is why when a new, faster CPU comes out people have to update their BIOS to get it to show its name properly. The motherboard just uses a translation table or equation to display the chip's "PR Rating."

Do AMD CPUs actually have an embedded name string?

the cpu string names are located in the bios and has nothing to do with the cpu itself.. there's no strings located in the cpu.. if you set your cpu at the setting for a certain Rating then when you boot up thats what it'll show..

if you ran a 3200+ and set the fsb to 166 you'll get Xp2500+ at bootup.. nothing special =d

Yeah I wasn't trying to make out it was special, I just didn't think it did that because the first time i did the overclock it didnt say 3200+. I just put it back to stock settings and it said 2500+, then I put the FSB back up to 200 so it should say 3200+ but it doesnt, it doesnt like do it all the time, its weird.

I have the Rev.2 version of the motherboard.

It isnt a problem, I just thought it was odd. But now I cant get it to say 3200+ again :\

Does anyone know the trick to make it say 3200+ instead of AMD Athlon XP @ 2200MHz?

I have it set to 200x11 with the same Vcore but it is not doing it.

This is why I thought it odd.

Depends on the bios. One bios revision it will say one, the other the next.

Lithan said:

you wanna hear something wierd? after doing the L12 fsb sence mod (and not doing it correctly lol) my board cant detect what my cpu is at at stock. i either have "user define" or xp3200+ aswell, and im running a t/bred lol

Last edited:
Lithan said:

Yes but mine has said both and I have not changed the BIOS atall.

cherryp00t said:
the cpu string names are located in the bios and has nothing to do with the cpu itself.. there's no strings located in the cpu.. if you set your cpu at the setting for a certain Rating then when you boot up thats what it'll show..

if you ran a 3200+ and set the fsb to 166 you'll get Xp2500+ at bootup.. nothing special =d
All my AMD boards except the Abit KT333 one (forgot the name) read the string as whatever the speed is. All my Intel boards have read the string off the CPU.

Back