Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Cyber Deals
Cyber Deals NOT FOR SELLING OR TRADING!!! Hot Deals from vendors. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

anyone see the 2.4 ghz laptop on bestbuy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 03:29 PM Thread Starter   #1
jstutman

10 Year Badge

anyone see the 2.4 ghz laptop on bestbuy?

it was for sale for 300$ shipped. need less to say, it was apricing error. but they sold 25,000 of them. and now they have to email them all and tell them the bad news

sucks to be them

Heatware
jstutman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 04:14 PM   #2
hkgonra

10 Year Badge

They aren't going to honor it ?

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
-- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware
hkgonra is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 04:16 PM   #3
Elephanthead
Registered

they can't afford to take a 12 million dollar loss because of a typo. even if the 25000 people never shopped at best buy again it would be cheaper then giving them all 500 or more each.
Elephanthead is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 04:19 PM   #4
hkgonra

10 Year Badge

Just a guess but a 2.4 laptop sells for around $800. So it would be more like selling it at cost. I would imagine BB cost is about 40% of what they sell it for. I know that is the mark-up on the stuff the company I work for sells them.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
-- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware
hkgonra is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 04:27 PM Thread Starter   #5
jstutman

10 Year Badge

no they wont honer it. i had the same problem back in the day on a radeon 8500. they had it for sale at 120$ it was brand new and the actual cost was alot higher. they did offer me a free 10% discount tho. i used the heck outta that link. the finally told me ENOUGH

Heatware
jstutman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 04:46 PM   #6
trey_w

10 Year Badge

They wont honor it. A while back when the Nividia 4600 fx came out they had it on there website for like 99 bucks when they were 350 or something retail.

well i bought about 5 and many others did the same thing.

They corrected their mistake and emailed everyone and cancelled the orders.

BTW: the markup on the laptops is not as much as you think.

They make about 12% pure revenue on computer systems.

The real money is with accessories, software, and service plans.

Do you ever wonder why they insist on telling you they dont work on commision but try to get you to buy everything along with the computer.

They make 100% revenue from service plans and 70% on up on accessories.... ink, printer cables, etc....

HTPC, SilverStone LC10M Case,AMD Phenom II 550BE, MSI 785gtm-e45, 16GB Kingston Ram, ATI ASUS 5770

MacBook Pro 15, Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, Dual Samsung 830 512GB SSD

MacBook Pro 13, Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram, Samsung 830 512GB SSD

Quantum FIOS - 155Mbps Down | 74Mbps Up
trey_w is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 05:20 PM   #7
n00bular

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by trey_w
They wont honor it. A while back when the Nividia 4600 fx came out they had it on there website for like 99 bucks when they were 350 or something retail.
4600 fx?!?! LOL, just kidding. Yeah I do remember when the ti4600 came out. BB had a MAJOR mess up on that
n00bular is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 06:49 PM   #8
wandl

Quote:

BTW: the markup on the laptops is not as much as you think.

They make about 12% pure revenue on computer systems.

The real money is with accessories, software, and service plans.

Do you ever wonder why they insist on telling you they dont work on commision but try to get you to buy everything along with the computer.

They make 100% revenue from service plans and 70% on up on accessories.... ink, printer cables, etc....
I agree. I did use to work for Best Buy and actually had access to the ACTUAL cost of the items we sold. $36.99 usb cables only cost $5 bucks if that, while a $399 e-machines computer costed Best Buy $359. Sell a USB cable with a printer cartridge and the store would have made as much profit as a whole e-machines computer.

BY THE WAY from what I was told by the store manager, extended warranty/service plans are 100% profit IF the customer never uses it...meaning that if the customer uses the extended warranty once, then the warranty company keeps the $$. But if the customer never used the warranty in the 2, 3, 4 or 5 years the plan was active, then Best Buy keeps that $$. Sounds bogus to me but hey whatever. I'm out of that world now.

Old 09-03-03, 07:11 PM   #9
dippy_skoodlez

10 Year Badge

Quote:

Hey.. when you do that.. order it in the morning pay a few $$$$ extra, and get it same day shipped/ same/overnighted! that way it ships before they fix it

dippy_skoodlez is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-03, 10:14 PM   #10
wandl

but even in stock it takes bestbuy.com "2-3 business days" to process the order before they ship though..

Old 09-03-03, 10:16 PM   #11
wandl

where was this deal anyway....just an error on the website? fatwallet?

Old 09-04-03, 12:32 AM   #12
Claw13Angel

or you can go into the store and buy one, then say its $300 you saw it online. They would prolly honor it if you talk to manager and crap the hell outta them
Claw13Angel is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 02:24 PM   #13
pummer

Quote:
Originally posted by Claw13Angel
or you can go into the store and buy one, then say its $300 you saw it online. They would prolly honor it if you talk to manager and crap the hell outta them
print out the website? that might actually work
pummer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-05-03, 04:23 AM   #14
BigRed
Caffinated Member

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by pummer

print out the website? that might actually work
No, I bet they will just smack you over the head with their book full of fine print and tell you to go F yourself if you put up a fuss with a manager there.

How far over stock could an overclocker clock, if an overclocker could clock over stock?

Back in the days of the Greeks and Romans whenever the people where confronted with a single or chain of Destructive events on the Epic scale they took it as a sign of the gods displeasure with how things are going then promptly deposed (killed) the leader of the time.

AHHH the good ol' days :D
BigRed is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Cyber Deals
Cyber Deals NOT FOR SELLING OR TRADING!!! Hot Deals from vendors. No Post Count.