• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Case and PSU - Alittle help would be greatly appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daerius

Registered
Hi!
I rarely post here, but have been reading these boards for quite some time. Im in a bit of a quandry and after searching through these boards and the web for a few days, I come to you asking for a bit of advice.

I am building a new system, and having a hard time picking the Case and PSU for this. To get started, let me give you the specs of whats going to be in it.

CPU : P4 2.4 Which is to be OC'ed to 3.0 or 3.2 gig.
Graphics Card : GeForce ti4600 (Have)
Memory : Corsair Xtreme speed series, 1 gig DDR400
Motherboard : Abit IS-7
Sony DVD/CDRom drive (have)
WD 40 gig 7200rpm HD (have)
Audigy Gamer Soundblaster (have)

CPU Heatsink+fan, undecided. Any ideas in this area? I was thinking the Thermalright SLK-800u , but not sure what fan to go with it.

As far as the casing, I have some general ideas. Im looking to spend around $150-175 max, and that has to include the PSU.

I do enjoy a good looking case, so black is definately a must. I am also planning on installing a Zalman fan controller in one of the 5.25 drive bays.

I have spotted two cases that look fairly interesting.

One is the Black X-Dreamer II. Its very attractive, but I have yet to see a review of the case itself. Would offcourse add the optional fans to get a total of 6x 80mm fans for airflow. Also, i am unsure if the PSU will be sufficient for what im doing.

Anyone know anything about this case?

The other i was looking at is the X-Superalien. It already has all the fans installed and come with lots of features + a big power supply.
Anyone have this case/psu and able to comment perhaps?

I do have a bit of a problem with the 2 above. Living close to a lime-rock road, dust is a big problem. I will be installing a Air purifyer to take care of most of it, but im sure there will still be a bit in the room. There for, im definately planning on installing filters on all the in-take fans, which might negate all the lighting in the above 2 cases.

My main priority is definately air flow and safety for the components inside, after that comes looks.

In short, im looking for a good looking black case with good cooling options. 120mm fans or 80mm fans remains a question, as i really dont have much experience with this.

If you have any good case recommendations other than the 2 mentioned above, i'd appreciate the info :)

Thanks

- Brian

My current thinking on cases is its definatly better to go with 120mm fans than many 80s. Even 2 120mms are gunna move alot of air and they will run alot more quietly than something with 5-7 80s.

I always have to throw in a recommendation for my personal favorite the lian-li pc-65b. Its just a dream to work on.

But for some stuff thats probably more in the neihborhood of what you are looking for I like these cases:

The antec Sonata:
01.jpg

Has 2 120mm fan mounts, HD grommets and a good PSU. http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?REVIEWDIR=antec_sonata

I also like the Antec SLK-3700AMB:(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...tion=slk,3700)

It also has 2 mounts for 120mm fans and HD grommets.

Then there is the CompuCase LX-6A19. Its internally the same case as the Antec SLK-3700AMB. It comes without a psu (a good thing IMHO) and is real cheap:

http://www.directron.com/cslx6a19bl.html

For a PSU I think you cannot beat Fortron/Sparkle for bang for the buck. A fortron 350W is an excellent choice. These supplies are underated by a pretty good amount and are high quality.

Back