• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K6-2-266 AFR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aries

Please, I'm new in over clocking. I have K6-2-266 (I now that it is so older...) and Zida TX100 (jumperless).
May I overclock this CPU and how? Core voltage is 2.2 I'm from Bulgaria and for that plz excusme my English.

You have a Tomato board! Had to point that out - a Zida Tomato board. Dunno why they decided to call it that.

BTW, excuse you for your English? Your English is fine, better than many of the native speakers who post here.

Getting back to that Tomato board and K6-2 266. You O/C by fooling with the multiplier and FSB. For a 266 MHz CPU, the default settings are:

Multiplier = 4
FSB = 66 MHz

First try setting the FSB to 75 MHz. If it works, you'll be at 4 X 75 MHz = 300 MHz. You probably won't get much higher with a K6-2 266, but running the CPU at 300 MHz with the SDRAM up at 75 MHz would be a nice little boost. Your next step, 4.5 X 75 MHz isn't very likely, but you could try it.

If you have a good hard drive, you could also try either of the following settings:

3.5 X 83 MHz = 292 MHz
4 x 83 MHz = 333 MHz

The 292 MHz has a good chance, and the system would run faster at this setting than the 4 X 75 MHz = 300 MHz setting. But, 83 MHz sets the PCI at 41.5 MHz which can corrupt older hard drives. I had an old Western Digital 8.4 GB drive several years ago that ran fine with the FSB at 83 MHz. But I also had old 5400 rpm Fujutisu and Maxtor drives that corrupted. Newer 7200 rpm drives have a better chance of running at this FSB.

Good Luck!

Thank’s for your advise. All that sounds good. But. But the truth is that I not know how to do that.
In AMIBIOS setup (CPU configuration setup) I can control only CPU speed. For example I can put 300 MHz, but I can’t set Multiplier and FSB separately. Only for 333 MHz there is two options – 333-66 and 333-95. The Mhz are up to 600. On 300 MHz system is working well, but at 333 and higher – not. The comp doesn’t start.
BTW, my Hard is Quantum 2.5 GB EL. Video – S3 Virge+Voodoo2 12 MB. I have also ISA modem Davicom 33.6 and ISA Sound ESS 1869. RAM is SDRAM PC100. CD Teac 24x.

Well 300 MHz might be it. If you can't set the core voltage higher, and don't have an excellent H/S fan, you won't get too far. Plus, the K6-2 CPUs aren't known for extreme overclocking. Apparently your BIOS just has settings for specific CPUs instead of settings for the multiplier and FSB. There were two versions of the K6-2 333 made: a 66 MHz version and a 95 MHz version. Your board provides support for both versions but only at their default settings. Look for something in the BIOS that disables these automatic settings. I looked at the motherboard manual on-line, and it mentioned overclocking, but the info in the BIOS section was a little sketchy.

Anyway, you got it up to 300 MHz from 66 MHz. Good luck getting further.

Back