• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux on Creative Nomad Nuvo USB Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I just got a Creative Nomad Muvo USB MP3 player (128 MB.) It is capable of being used as a USB flash drive, too, so I was wondering if there were any Linux distros designed to be run off this kind of thing? I would be using a motherboard that can boot from USB.

I'm a total noob, so I need something pretty easy to set up. I'm trying to learn Linux, so something user-friendly would be a plus.

Have you tried hooking it up yet?

MOST of the USB portable storage media devices I have connected to linux (RedHat and Overclockix) were supported by the kernel and needed no configuration other than mounting them. :D
This includes a sandisk ImageMate CF card reader and a Casio digital camera.

The only device I have had trouble with so far is an extremely cheap ($29 USD) MP3 player- it is recognized but I have found no way to load mp3s yet. This one device does not show up as a drive, unfortunately.

I would try hooking it up and see if it shows up as a drive. ;)

Oh, yeah, it does show up as a drive and it works perfectly.

I'm just wondering if there is a whole Linux OS that I can put on this baby and boot from it.

Why would you want to do that? Other than the "cool" factor, of course.

You could do it, but when you say "whole Linux OS" do you mean a functional distro, ie. kernel, networking, GUI, development tools, etc. or just a bootable floppy type distro?

My guess as to why?

Portable Folding System :D

Glad it's working for you ;)

[quick threadjack] I have found an answer about my mp3 player: it was built to interface with MS systems only and no work was done to make it linux friendly at all. No thought was given to Linux.
Jerks ;)
So I am now trying to get info from the maker about how it works with windows precidely so that I can try and find another linux driver that will work. Oh boy..............;)

moorcito said:
Why would you want to do that? Other than the "cool" factor, of course.

You could do it, but when you say "whole Linux OS" do you mean a functional distro, ie. kernel, networking, GUI, development tools, etc. or just a bootable floppy type distro?

Pretty much just to see if I could do it, and I'd like to have a distro that I could take anywhere and boot any computer with my OS. Really useful application would be to have a virus scanner on it, plus a couple of my favorite apps.

I do mean a GUI OS with networking and a few tools.

UnseenMenace said:
My MuVo works perfectly with SuSE 8.2

Good! How do I do it? Where do I start?

*EDIT* Are you booting SuSE from your MuVo, or are just saying that you are able to use your MuVo, from within SuSE?

Last edited:
I think there might be a knoppix version that is small enough. I am not positive though. throw knoppix and thumb drive into google. My advice is to try Arkaines version of knoppix called Overclockix. Just download it and burn it to a cdr. http://overclockix.octeams.com

Good luck:D

Edit: I forgot to mention you can use the USB device to store your settings and home directory:D

Last edited:
Back