• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about overclocking the 2.6ghz 400fsb cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warlord2

a friend of mine has a dell comp that he upgraded with a 2.6ghz northwood 400fsb cpu. I really no nothing about intel so I just want to ask if the 400fsb cpu will overclock just as well as one with a 533fsb. Is the only difference that the multiplier is higher for the 400fsb than for the 533fsb cpu? Also he has currently rdram 800 so do you think he should ditch that and get ddr and a new motherboard? and if he does get new ram and a mobo, what speed of ddr and what motherboard would you recommend. I think hes looking for a mild overclock with a ok heatsink and fan.

The 2.4A 400 bus CPU is well suited for RDRAM systems. Not sure I'd use it for an upgrade since the multiplier is so high. Dell often has non-standard power supplies too. Probably not worth upgrading. If you get a new mobo, get the Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800 and a 800 bus CPU. With that system, you'll need a new PS and RAM too.

Back