• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r cpu fans supposed to pull air off or onto the heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunchbox!

I recently purchased an amd 1.33 GHz t-bird(AXIA), with an iwill ka266-r motherboard, and 256MB of crucial pc2100 ram. Everything mentioned thus far is 266MHz FSB. I bought a sort of cheap HSF, and it pulls air onto the proc, instead of away. Is the fan maybe mounted the wrong way? Or is this the way it is supposed to be mounted? Here is the llink to the website for a picture of the HSF. It is a coolermaster, model number EP5-6I51. http://www.coolermaster.com/technical/EP5-6H51.pdf
I don't feel comfortable installing it yet, because of this dilemma. It also has a very 'iffy' retention clip. It puts phenominal amounts of pressure on the die. I have arctic silver 2 goop for it. I am afraid that it is going to crush the die when I try to install it....Plz help. P.S. I am thinking about modifying the HSF to be mounted into the holes in the board itself with some screws. I have a dremel to accomplish this, but once again, I am afraid to try this. Please offer any useful info you can. Thank you. Pics would be nice too...

That fan should blow air towards the chip into the heatsink. You might want to consider one of those 'shims' which you can find here.

This is another post that should be in cooling section.

Coolermasters are not that great for 1gig +, you have spent some change already, why skimp on one of the most crucial components? There are alot of great HSF's that can handle 1.3gig+ for under $30usd. The Vantec, Global Win, Alpha, Taisol and Swiftech (way too pricey). For the want of a few pesos you could fry a $200 chip. Do the math.

Lunchbox!

try it both ways!! what works for one might not work for another...

make sure you run your test for an hour or so.. 5 min wont tell you any thing ;D be sure too note the room temp at the time of the test...

as for the holes "go for it" but it is very easy to put too much preasure on the die that way ....i have a 1.2 bird to prove it (key chain) take care..

It depends on the heatsink some suck some blow (don't take that the wrong way...hehe) like my Alpha PAL 6035 it sucks the air and blows it away from the motherboard I'm guessing this is a good thing because it takes the heat away from the mobo instead of blowing it onto the mobo but you just got to see which heatsink works for you. :)

Back