• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Access Denied

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

why do i keep getting this all over the place? i hate having to login as root every time i get this. i use the super user command every now and then for simple things, but when im trying to delete many files or something, it's really hard.

is there a way for me to make my account have these rights? or is there something easy i havent discovered to take care of this problem? hehe

Well, its best to just login as a normal user at all times, and when necesary use the su cmd....but at login you can just put ur username as root and then type in the root password when it prompts you for it....that way you would be logged in permanently (for that session) as root.

I think I read your post right :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Just a suggestion but you really should continue to su to modify certain things. In what way is su'ing, modifying the files, and exiting hard? There's a reason all *nix OSes ask you to create a regular user account to use on a daily basis. One day you'll be glad when you rm -rf or chmod in the wrong directory ;)

Are you not able to su? Do you have to exit your user account and re-login? If that's the case you're probably not added to the proper group, usually wheel. Just edit /etc/group and add your user name to the end of the wheel line.

Other alternatives would be to use sudo and set up permissions for the commands you need.

here's an example. i want to do something in usr/local.. or something like that. when im not logged in as root, i wont have access... what should i do? do i really have to go to console just to move some files around?

am i root in everything? like even when i open up that home thing to browse hard drives?

I think I see the issue here. You're using the gui for doing things that are most efficiently done at a terminal/console shell.

I know that may sound a bit "elitist" but it's the god's honest truth.

awwwww it takes so long :D do you guys do it all in a second now that you're used to it?

As you go along you're bound to pick up little tricks for speeding up what you want to do.

aliases are a great way of customizing your bash shell.

Let's say you have a really long path and you'd like to cd to it without having to type all that stuff.

alias gamedir="cd /usr/local/games/"

Then whenever you just type "gamedir" you'll be whisked away to your /usr/local/games/ dir.

An alias can be as simple or complex as you want.

alias mountcd="mount /mnt/cdrom && cd /mnt/cdrom && ls -lah"
alias umountcd="cd $HOME && umount /mnt/cdrom && eject /dev/cdrom"

Another option is to create environment variables.

gamedir=/usr/local/games/

Then just type
cd $gamedir

That accomplishes basically the same thing. The nice thing about environment variables is you can use them in your scripts for doing even fancier things.

awesome. that helps a lot.. i'll get started on this stuff now. great great great! once again.. i'd be TOTALLY screwed without this forum :D

Back