• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a drive formatted for a mac be changed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

i bought a drive off of ebay... its a WD 80gb 7200rpm WD800BB and the guy who had been using it had it on a mac (uggh...) and he said he formatted it for a mac and deleted all his files off of it.

my question: if i connect it to my mobo (when i get it), will my system see the drive and will my windows xp disc be able to format it to fat32?

any previous experience with converting mac drives to windows would also be appreciated :)

As far as I know, Apple uses the same type of IDE drives as everyone else.
Though I never noticed it before, the box my current WD drive came in lists Mac compatibility.
So you shouldn't have any trouble.

I would think so.
The absoloute worst that could happen would be to have to get the manufacturers low level format utility, and use it.
But I really doubt you'll need to do that.

repo man11 said:
I would think so.
The absoloute worst that could happen would be to have to get the manufacturers low level format utility, and use it.
But I really doubt you'll need to do that.

yea, but most likely you can just delete the partition using fdisk.

The xp installer will partition it fine.

It should look like it has no partitions at all when you look at it in xp's installer, or fdisk.

I've taken drives back and forth between Macs and PCs, reformatted them, etc. Works fine, its all ide or scsi or whatever you may be using.

Back