• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Re DVD Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

some_evil

Hi,
I am desperate to get my Panasonic 16X DVD drive working.
My DVD drive has stopped working after i formatted my PC, and when i realised it wasnt working, after finding the Drivers, it still didnt work, so i updated from Windows 98 to Windows XP hoping that XP had the capability to fix it for me. But it didnt. And all XP does is tell me the name of the CD in the Drive, but it wont open or read it.
I can work out what is wrong.
So i tried Disconnecting it, then rebooting the PC without it connected, then i connected and rebooted and installed the drive again and the same problem occurs.
Windows XP tells me to download an updated driver, and gives me a link, and i download and install this file and it has no effect on the drive.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Welcome to the forum!

I'm somewhat stumped by your problem. Have you double checked the IDE cables connection? Tried a different IDE cable? Tried the other IDE port? Had the drive been working fine right up to the reinstall of 98? Does the drive spin up and at least look for a CD when one is placed in the tray?

One consolation is that if it has failed permanently, they are fairly inexspensive.

Try searching for similar posts in the Windows Operating System forum. I've seen similar problems like yours come up before.

Does the drive have any firmware you can flash? i had a similar problem with my Lite-on burner and after i went to the manufacturers site, downloaded the update and flash the firmware as they instructed it's worked perfectly from then on.

--Lostboy

When i insert a CD (not necesserily a DVD) it spins up and reads the Title of the disc, but when i try to open or explore the CD it doesnt let me. It says there is an I/O device error.
Yeah i did check the connections of the IDE and power.
The drive worked fine until i formatted the HDD. then when i formatted it and installed 98 it didnt work, so i then installed XP hoping it would fix the problem but it didnt.
Thanks.

Have you installed your controller drivers? I had this problem with the exact same drive, as soon as i downloaded the latest chipset and controller drivers for my board and a restart it worked fine.

Give that a go and let us know if you still have the same issue.

I went to the MSI website (as i have a MSI motherboard) and they have heaps of System & Chipset Drivers. Do you know what type of one i should look for?
i think my board is MSI K7T 266 PRO as thats what it has on my receipt.

-Thanks

Step one will be to make sure that you have that motherboard. The receipt is good, but looking at the motherboard in your case and seeing what it says on it would be even better.
When you go to MSI's site, look for your motherboard. Once you find the listing for your motherboard, they should have downloads listed for it, usually including drivers, a manual, and BIOS updates. Get the latest version of the motherboard drivers.

With any luck, that will solve your problem.

Just found out the following info
K7T266 Pro (MS-6380)
ATX Mainboard

I dont know if that helps at all.
I am downloading the file reccomended above. Thanks

I just installed that file i downloaded.
Now when i put a CD in the drive, i can navigate around the CD, then i try to copy something from CD to the HDD, and it comes up saying "cannot copy X: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

If it isnt the driver what else can i try to fix this??

Back