• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the fastest folding box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Afmo

Whats the fastest non server cpu/mobo?

Im looking to buy another pc but for as cheap as possible

Ideas and links are welcome :D

A 2.4C overclocked to 3.6Ghz I'm guessing. And since it's HT you can run two consoles at the same time. Or you can buy some cheap athlon combos for under $100 and buid a farm.

NiTrO bOiE said:
A 2.4C overclocked to 3.6Ghz I'm guessing. And since it's HT you can run two consoles at the same time. Or you can buy some cheap athlon combos for under $100 and buid a farm.

I would get a cheap ECS k7s5a, or some random $30 mobo, and an athlon 1700+ and start farming :D just stick em in a rack.. like $100 for taht combo, if you have spare memory/ddr ;) I put out like a WU a day at the least I think on this 1700. Not OC'd yet.. a7n8x is shipped and on its way :D

An AMD dually with CPU's that are bridge-modded for higher multiplyers, buty on a relatively cheap dually board with few OC'ing features, not necessarily a KD7....

Well, if you wanna go for cheap, then go AMD. For a rig that's not really a farm rig, get an 8RDA+ (~$80), a 1700+ DLT3C ($60), some decent RAM ($75), and a good heatsink (SLK-800 or something with a good fan, $45), which puts you at $260 plus all the other stuff, and that should overclock very nicely :)
Or as Arkaine said, an AMD dually would also fold nicely.
There was a site somewhere where you submitted your times on your comps for folding, then it created a 'hall of fame' fastest folding boxes thing, but I forget where it is :p

Sterculus said:

There was a site somewhere where you submitted your times on your comps for folding, then it created a 'hall of fame' fastest folding boxes thing, but I forget where it is :p

I remember the link, but it's no longer online. :(

Get as MANY parts as you can used from the classified, ebay or Newegg Refurbs and you can have a farm for under $150 per layer.

It is not about fastest(even if your very rich), it is about most cost effective.

Most cost-effective is to build a yatta mosnter with either terminal services and pxe booting from one HDD, or using bootable folding CD's like Overfoldix and Overclockix.

No case (well, a rack)
No monitor
No kb
No mouse
64mb or 128mb ram/ layer
cheapo everything integrated non-OC'ing motherboards
bridge-modded XP's

MrMarbles said:
a sorta related question
Is it at all possible to go green with only one CPU?

With a 2.4C overclocked past 3.0 you should be able to get close to 1200ppw, I may be wrong though, can someone back me up?

Edit: I mean a cpu with HT and running 2 instances, as far as I know it will let you go yellow am I correct?

MrMarbles said:
a sorta related question
Is it at all possible to go green with only one CPU?

With the right Gromacs protein you could fold at about 600 ppw on a P4 @ 2Ghz. Link.

In other words yes :)

Ben721 said:

With a 2.4C overclocked past 3.0 you should be able to get close to 1200ppw, I may be wrong though, can someone back me up?

Edit: I mean a cpu with HT and running 2 instances, as far as I know it will let you go yellow am I correct?
Yes close, probably more like 1100 PPW running 24/7, maybe less. My P4 @ 3.6 with HT does 1239.71 PPW with 2 clients running 24/7.

That's crazy folding points, I really want that so bad but I must resist. :)

Arkaine23 said:
Most cost-effective is to build a yatta mosnter with either terminal services and pxe booting from one HDD, or using bootable folding CD's like Overfoldix and Overclockix.

No case (well, a rack)
No monitor
No kb
No mouse
64mb or 128mb ram/ layer
cheapo everything integrated non-OC'ing motherboards
bridge-modded XP's
Actually, you could elimate the HD/CDRom drive.
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/howto/FAH_Diskless_Farm_1.html

Back