• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding musical player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

it has come to my attention that Windows Media 9 eats resources (well iv known that for a long time but when a 32 pt protien takes an hour a frame (gromacs with SSE enabled) that something is seriously wrong especially when all i have running is stopped windows media (i forgot to turn her off) So i am now looking for a new player, preferably able to play, all music formats including windows.
PS i would like a good ripping program that will rip into uncompressed format. (hey what else should i do with 120 gig). I currently use windows media player losless which is pretty good but i was curious as to how good it really is. (i know the difference does not matter on many songs except really jamming rock like deftones elite but i do have 120 gig and nothing to do with it.

I use Winamp 2.8. Haven't really checked to see if it eats up resources, I assumed it didn't.

As for ripping, use EAC. It's freeware and the best out there.

Xymurgy said:
I use Winamp 2.8. Haven't really checked to see if it eats up resources, I assumed it didn't.

Winamp is not a resource hog at all.

It uses something like ~10megs of RAM and I have 6000 songs loaded into the queue. I can check to verify this when I get home tonight.

For me Winamp actually only uses [reported] 3,712KB of RAM, while playing, with 6,292 songs, so I think that's just about the best low-resource hogging prog you can find :p

Winamp3 is a little different, mine uses about 18MB with a 100 song playlist. Oh, and this topic is a little strange. It sorta fits here in Folding, yet it should be in Applications and Software. I guess its up to a mod to make a decision. ;)

Winamp, but get winamp 2.8 it is much less rescource hungry then winamp 3. And that windows media lossless is supposed to be really good.(hence the "lossless") but I just use an MP3 encoder at 256-320bitrate and i cant tell the difference between that and cd. But if you got the space it shouldnt matter.:D

KaHNZa said:
Winamp3 is a little different, mine uses about 18MB with a 100 song playlist.

Yep, I'm using Winamp 2.81, Winamp3 is hugely bloated with extra stuff (hmm, kind of reminds me of Windows ;))

I'm actually using Winamp3, but I'm not planning on using it for long. I installed it when it first came out and abandoned it after a week because I thought it was so buggy. I'm trying it again just to see if it works better than I thought before (which it doesn't, but the skins are pretty cool).

Try Quintessential, its pretty sweet. There's a new 4 out, but Im using 3 and tis been fine. There's some pretty good skins over at deviantart, too.

I'm actually thinking of switching back to Winamp 2.81 because Winamp3 loads too slow and uses more resources than I'd like. But I like the skins a lot. But thats about all I'll miss. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ahhhhh 2.81 loads MUCH faster. :cool:

Back