• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanna laugh? Got a second? Help out this ol' nOOb!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Okay guys, forget about the blues...total nOOb here.

I messed up today and bought a TBredB 2000+ for the ol' lady's computer today. She has the KT7A-raid v1.1, so it's only supposed to take a 1400+ or so, and I do have the latest bios in it.

Now I've read all I could find here about remapping, and it's clear as mud.
No pics, no tuts, just a couple "look what I did" threads and a link to Tom's (we won't get into Tom's here, okay?).

What I'd really really like to know, is how on earth can I make her processor work in this system? I solder (yeah, solder) my own bridges and all that, but I've not done a thing with OC'ing since the origonal Athlon 1G was new. I also understand about the pits and how to handle them.
But what on earth do you have to cross or uncross with what to get the multipliers to add 8? Got a diagram w/walkthrough? Heck, a crayon drawing would be pretty helpfull!

I would be most gratefull for help in this matter.

*edit* basically, I don't want to admit defeat, at least not to her :D

Last edited:
i didn't lookk up anything on that motherboard but i'm assuming that you need to hard code the multiplyer for the processor to work on that motherboard?

there's a few places that i saw that has diagrams for hard coding, i'll try to find them and post links for you.

Yeah, something like that.
I saw a couple of threads here that successfully used B 21-2400's on this same board (works on other boards too) by unlocking or recrossing some bridges. But the details were sketchy, and there were no pics.
I'd guess it's supposed to internally (within the cpu) add 8 to the bios's multiplier setting alowing you to use a larger than max rated cpu.

Thanks for looking!

zabomb4163 said:
off topic-

how is he a senior member ?!?!

Because I've answered over 3,000 noob questions about watercooling, modding, and power supplies.
Now it's my turn to ask. :D

*got my back since87...cool!

he also has that crazy cat in his avatar. I think its the l3 bridge that needs to be blown in order to add 8x to the multis but dont quote me. I will look into it for you because you have helped my plenty of times.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm that looks kinda helpful
John C. said:

Tbreds use 5 L3 bridges instead of Palomino's 5 pairs of L3/L4/L10 bridges.

Your Mobo is one of the older ones that are probably not designed to handle 13X or higher. Best bet is to oc by raising the FSB, even to the point of "lowering" the Multiplier, most people oc this way.

But if you really want to raise the Multiplier, here is a method that has worked on some systems. Learn the
Multiplier Code at
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Multiplier Code article. There you will learn how the Multiplier is set by the SUM of Bit Values/signal circuits set HI...with a remapping offset. For example, you will find that to get 13X you need to set 10X HI cause the remapping offset = 3X. So to set 10X only the 2X and 8X Bit Value circuits need to be HI. So you manually change the last/5th L3 bridge to open which enables/sets HI the 8X bit value which your mobo seems to ignore. Then you set the multiplier in the bios to 5X. Then the bios will reset the 11.5X default Multiplier to 5X which only Enables the 2X circuit HI. But with the 8X set HI manually, you might get the 13X, has worked before.

Similarly, setting 5.5X in bios gets 13.5X, etc...you should always get 8X more than you set in the bios.

But go into the bios right away cause 11.5X has only the .5X Bit Value set HI, and 8X + .5X HI is a "mobile CPU" setting and your desktop mobo will probably not boot at that setting.

Hope this will all be clearer after you read the Multiplier Code article.
John C.

Sounds like that could work too.

Wasn't this an episode of "Home Improvement?"

But thanks for the laugh. Reading the first line of the thread with your Bill the Cat avatar and looking at all those blues... I got a laugh.

Sorry, I'm Intel, can't help you.

Diggrr, have you tried popping the chip in and seeing if it'll boot at all? even though some mobos may say they don't officially support a chip, you can often times get them to boot, thought it may be at a lower speed than you expected. the repainting guide they pointed to is exactly what you need. Just take your time and make sure you have a steady hand (enough sleep, not too much coffee or booze) and you'll be set to go!

Abit FAQ: ABIT KT7 / KT7-RAID / KT7E all version and KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.0/1.1/1.2 cannot support AMD Athlon XP processor.

I had a similar problem where my SOYO could only use Palominos and not Thoroughbreds.

After successfully booting into Windows my nightmare was just beginning. My system begun to exhibit a million small stability problems which I read upon and discovered were all due to the T-Bred incompatibility.

Weigh the sheer amount of time and frustration you'll have after successfully booting into Windows against a new mobo purchase.

If you can use non-Raid nForce2, consider that they're not very expensive today and they're PCI locked allowing for high FSBs and can take your T-Bred B to 3000+ or 3200+ speeds.

Thanks guys, those links have got it for me. I'm gonna tear into the L3 #5 when I get back home this afternoon.
The chip may be incompatible, but that's no reason not to hack up a perfectly good (and cheap) chip.

And yeah, I've tried every setting the bios had, and it sure don't like underclocking. Many settings will boot, some will even let me transfer files on the network, but as soon as she hits Ultima, "physical memory dump" and "windoze halted". Even played with the voltages, no dice.
Funny thing though, running it at 1 Gig and 1.575 volts got me the furthest of any setting, even running Sandra benchies, but that crashed too eventually.

Now what do you guys think about that remarkable stock hsf...just joking, she's going h2o in a couple of days ;)

Last edited:
if shes going H20 may I recommend getting an Nforce2 mobo. Frankly, you are trying to push the usefulness of 3 year old technology. You can get good Nforce2 mobos for as low as 60$.

Well, I tried and tried. I got it stable in every app except for Ultima Online. She'd even run Sandra burn for an hour, but fire up that game, and it went into the dumper.
So I threw the 1gig back in and kicked it up to 1200 (stock cooler :eek: ) and it's running fine.

On the lighter side, she loved the idea of having a micro ATX computer, so I'm gonna get her that little shuttle with the n-force chipset. That gives her more desk space, so she went for it in a heartbeat. I wanted that board though :cry:

Now I'm off to engineer a central computer watercooling system for the house, as her computer is in another room. I don't think that's been done yet, maybe I'll have to take pics as I go.

There goes yet more money cause it'll need memory too....Thanks though guys!

Congratulations on a wise decision to purchase an nForce2 board.

Other than going for the best deal, the highest FSB these days can be squeezed out of this RAM:
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
It will allow you to go to 220 FSB and higher which is more important than MHz.

Of course people report doing 250 FSB but on PC4x00 RAM:
http://www.pbase.com/image/19261650/original

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

Back