• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't figure this one out please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leo

Registered
I got an AVIA 1.0ghz and I can overclock it stably to 1.4 ghz. Temps are around 48 c 100% load. The system is 100% stable in Prime 95 but when I play some games it freezes or give bsod after 20 some minutes. I tried going down all the way to 1.2 ghz and not luck. I'm now trying at 1.0ghz and it seems to not lock. I don't understand. What am I doing wrong?

As you OC your CPU gets more sesitive to heat. It might work if you could get your temp a little lower 48C very well could be the problem. Here is an example. My ambient temp water cooled system will run at 1440 but due to hot weather last week I had to turn it down to 1.33 because at faster speeds it will lock anytime the cpu hits 95F. Normal full load temps are 85F. Now I don't know exactly what the conversion is but 95F is quite a bit lower then 48C. Every cpu is different in what it will tolerate though.

How is your case cooling? Try running with the sides off. What HSF are you using?

Sorry I didn't mention that. WHen I go all the way down to 1.2 ghz my temps are quite lower. I get about 44 c full load. I have a taisol heatsink modified with a 80mm fan on it that is ducted to the outside ofthe case. The cooling is good I think. My system temp is around 28 C. it used to be lower but then I lost my BLue ord that i had placed on the via chipset, so I reverted to the stock one. The temps stay around that.
I think my temps are ok. I used to have a 1.1 ghz 100fsb and it was stable till about 51C. I know it doesn;t mean much but at idle the cpu gets down to the same temp as the system.
I noticed one more thing. I play a lot of racing games, and I use a FOrce Feedback wheel and when I overclock to 1.33 or higher teh feedback is weaker than when it 's below 1.33.

That is odd I have a force feedback stick to and have never noticed it getting weaker but mine is a microsoft stick and has an external transformer to power it. I would suspect yours is powered by the computer? If so and it gets weaker it has to be a PSU problem. This would also explain the overcloking trouble with games because more power is being drawn by the GPU and joytick. Plus AMD's draw a lot of juice when you oc and increase voltage.

No unfortunatelly the power supply of the wheel is external. But I had a 350W power supply that just died on me about 2 weeks ago. Before that I burned my old cpu, but the power supply still worked and then the other day I was running Prime 95 and for some reason it killed the power supply. Now I got a 300W seems to be doing good. But I think when the othe power supply died it also took my burner with it because it won't work anymore. So just a bunch of weird things happening. Could it be that when I fried my cpu it shorte the psu but for some reason it was working anyways and then when it died it took the burner with it?

PS. this overclocking problem was happening even before the power supply died.

abit boards hate generic ram
did the lockups start when you lost your orb
have you crashed your system due to high fsb more than a couple of times ?? ;D
cooling is all important try a table fan pointed at your open case

Have you tried using less voltage to the core? As your CPU becomes 'conditioned' it may very well operate at a given clockspeed at a lower voltage...this will help you cool things off a bit as well.

T

Yeah, try Megahurtz advice..After some time of burning in, it is mostly possible, to lower your voltage..I could be that you are giving your CPU actually too much voltage

ken257 (May 07, 2001 05:09 p.m.):
That is odd I have a force feedback stick to and have never noticed it getting weaker but mine is a microsoft stick and has an external transformer to power it. I would suspect yours is powered by the computer? If so and it gets weaker it has to be a PSU problem. This would also explain the overcloking trouble with games because more power is being drawn by the GPU and joytick. Plus AMD's draw a lot of juice when you oc and increase voltage.
I had exactly the same problem as u with the temps: Idle its the same or 1c higher than system/case temp but at loaded its over 50c so i also had random lockups all the time on it. Also i could hear the differences between loaded and idle on my psu fans so i tought it was maybe my psu that was too weak but i then bought an 400w but still the same problem:( But then after trying my friends 1.1ghz the same speed as mine it was just fine around 30-35c idle and 40s and something loaded so i now went to the store for a replacement because it has to be the cpu that is busted.

Still waiting for a new one. 3weeks since i gave it back to the store.....

U tried checking in via hvm?? the voltage on mine was: 5.0v: 5.10idle and loaded 4.88 which is a huge difference in voltage. while the voltage when using my friends cpu in the (SAME) system: 5.02idle 4.98-4.95 loaded.

So its like its using VERY little power when idling but when loaded it uses HUGE amount of power so if i was u i would take it back to the store and try to get a new one.

if your trying to overclock, 50C is a bit on the hot side. I generally try to keep it below 42C for a stable overclock.

Back