• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Celeron 1.2 Overclockage possibilities???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Me no speakee muchee intel. I've got my nephews machine on the bench, it's a 1.2G celeron tualatin, set at 100x12, it has a stock heatsink and fan, my fsb options are limited to 133, just wondering if these chips can run stable at 133 on the stock fan. Wasn't gonna spend maoney on it, just wondering if Ican tweak it out for him (Though I don't know why I bother, I pointed him at a XP2100 system without the crappy onboard graphics for $200 less :rolleyes: )

Thanks for any help,

Road Warrior

Some will go to 133 with no trouble, some need a little Vcore, some just won't go. The majority should work at 133 though. Do you have Vcore adjustments on that board? What about the RAM, is it PC133 already, or is there a divider on his board?

It depends a lot on the stepping. If you have a B stepping there's an excellent chance of getting 133 if you can raise the vcore. I only had 1 B stepping that was a problem. It did 133 but took about 1.80V to do it. All the others except the one I have now needed about 1.65. My current one did it at default. It runs stable at 1800 but the 3D scores start to drop off after 144fsb.

my *** thats a p4 celeron! cele's had problems over 1700 some lucky few got over 1700. i bet my board would do it too but it undervolts like a ****zy b**ch.

You may get a Celeron to match a P4 or even a Tbred XP in CPU cycles but the memory bandwidth is too narrow to compete with the P4 or Tbreds. I have tested my 1.2 Celeron running at 1704 against a tbred running at 1700. They score almost the same Cpu score but the memory and 3D scores aren't even close. That is why the Intel 820 and the Via 266 chipsets for the P3 flopped. The bandwidth was too narrow to take advantage of the faster ram.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Intel's P3 generation CPUs over 1GHz suffers from an inadequate memory bandwidth. Anyhow, that's the same situation with today's AMDs too. The core is able to crunch the code/data quicker than the mem i/o subsystem can supply them for it.

Thanks guys for all the help, however, the system began to misbehave badly at stock, restart and boot problems and random switch offs, and being under warranty it's left my hands and gone in for repair.

I have a 1.3, and it's an A stepping, SL5ZJ. Won't go past 1.57GHz (even at 1.75v) and I have to keep it at 112FSB in order for the board to reliably POST from shutdown.

I've tried 2 different 1.3Celerons, one an A stepping and one an early B stepping, without any success at 133 fsb. The new B stepping 1.3s have a very good chance of making 133. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone who will guarantee steppings for a Celeron.

I've got two B stepping 1.3's and neither one will do 133 mhz at any voltage. I'm curently running it at 1560 (120Mhz) on a CUSL2.

Maybe the strength of this chip is to run it on my asus p2b (with the adaptor) at 124Mhz, (not sure if it'll do that or not) so as to have the PCI bus in synch at 33.

e.

The only 1.3s that I know of that will default to 133 are the b stepping with a date of 3/03 or later. I don't know if this is something consistent or depends on the individual processor.

my SL6JU 1.4 will hit 133fsb with a crazy *** 1.9-2.0 volts i had it there just long enough to go into the bios and see the stupid mistake i had made and shut it down. at 1.55v it will do 112fsb and at 1.65 will do 124fsb but my board undervolts while under load and causes prime to crap out after an hour or two :(.

1863MHz... Gotta love stupidity like that, eh? :p

Actually, I think 1.9-2v is safe for a Tualatin celeron (the P6 core is OK with rather high voltages.) I dunno if it would have been stable in windows, though.

with my cusl2 and the 1014 beta Bios, my 1.3ghz celeron is recognized as such, but for some strange reason the voltage options in the BIOS are 1.70 - 2.00 as if it were a PIII, (this does not happen with earlier bioses, but with these I get that cpu id junk message and I have no voltage options whatsover in the BIOSand the chip runs at 1.52 stock) so I am forced to run it with the new beta bios at 1.7 (@120Mhz FSB, mind you, as well)

I guess I should try 1.9v but that's 26% over stock voltage. Too much, no?

bardos

Back