• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p3 connector on compaq AT power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pogue1000

so this older Compaq power supply which died looks like an At with the two 6 pin connectors but there is also another 6 pin that goes into the motherboard, connector is labled p3. wondering if this is something to support the power switch on the front.

unlike the other AT power supplys i have, this one doesnt have the cable coming off as a switch.

ok hope that makes sense :)

What is this extra connector for?

the thing about compaq is thier older systems came with PSUs that where wired diferent than the industry standard so that they onlyworked for the oem systems with thier own boards. i have heard of several peoples comps catching fire when theyinstalled new PSUs into old compaqs so be carefull

thorilan said:
the thing about compaq is thier older systems came with PSUs that where wired diferent than the industry standard so that they onlyworked for the oem systems with thier own boards. i have heard of several peoples comps catching fire when theyinstalled new PSUs into old compaqs so be carefull

I have about a dozen of the deskpro's myself. some have psu->switch some dont. and basically when one dies... I scrap the comp for parts.. disassemble the psu for the wires and fans.. and into the trash the rest goes, and I dont look back. because there's no garauntee you can find one that will work. thank you Compaq for another pile of proprietary crap :rolleyes:

as thorilan said, be careful replacing stuff.

Back