• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBox 2 GPU based off ATI's R500 (possibly samsung 1600 mhz GDDR2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Both ATI and Microsoft executives are absolutely refusing to answer questions on the Xbox successor, but that didn’t stop us in our mission to be the “Insider’s Choice for Xbox Information.”

We’re proud to bring you today the very first info on the Xbox 2 GPU. Our highly placed source within the industry informed us that the graphic technology powering the Xbox successor is a derivative of the R500, the successor of the R420 to be unveiled later this year at Comdex.

This graphic chip has been in design for longer than a year at ATI’s Marlborough, Mass. office and much like the Xbox’s nVIDIA GPU, the Xbox 2 graphic chip will also be a custom silicon that will have the R500 as its core technology.

This graphic chip is aimed at the next version of the DirectX API, most probably called DirectX 10, which is already in development and simply code named: DirectX/LH. LH stands for Longhorn, the next major desktop Windows release, which will follow Windows XP.

This same source also told us: “Microsoft chose ATI not just because the publicly known problems with nVIDIA but also because current technology shows ATI is the real winner when it comes to pixel shaders performance.” Something that is correct, as several publications have put in evidence that ATI’s Radeon 9800 Pro surpasses the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra in most Pixel Shaders 2.0 benchmarks.

“And we all know graphics’ future is all about pixel shaders” our source added.

This VPU is being designed with the latest technologies in mind, such as GDDR2 SDRAM provided by Samsung running at 1600 MHz. A 128-bit configuration is capable of providing up to 25.6 GB/s peak bandwidth, while its 256-bit mode brings up to a shocking 51.2GB/s peak bandwidth!!! Samsung’s GDDR2 256-megabit memory will enable graphics memory cards of 512 MB, althought it is impossible to confirm if the Xbox 2 will feature such amount of system memory.

Speculating the Xbox 2 might ship in Christmas 2005, we can be sure its graphic chip will support Pixel Shader 3.0, a model that is a significant improvement over today’s 2.0 version, as well as Vertex Shaders 3.0. This will make the Xbox 2, without a doubt, the most powerful console when it comes to visual performance with a graphic chip that, in hardware terms, is two generations ahead of current technology.

Ununquadium114 said:
meh..consoles are inferior to pc games...

maybe so, but if OC NOOB's post is accurate, then the xbox2 will have technology that isn't even out yet, which says good things, such as what will be available to us as the oc'ers by the time xbox2 is actually out.

And who says that technology wont be on cards that come out in 2004?

Just remember, the Xbox2 comes out in over 2 years from now, I am confident that the technology of video cards will be on par if not exceding what the Xbox2 has by then.

Who said that Xbox 2 would be better then a PC?

How did this turn into a console vs PC ****ing contest?

Come on guys, I expect better then the same old consoles r teh sux posts that we see WAY too often.

Nobody even mentions that ATI got the video card contract for XBox, talk about the R500 or 1600 mhz 256 bit ram?!?

I'm sorry I even posted this, next time I'll just post "PC r teh rulez"

<shakes head>

You guys are getting hung up on the wrong thing here. It doesn't matter how powerful the system is. It's the GAMES that matter!

Hell, I still break out my old NES every now and then for a go. Good times, and 8-bits total! None of this fully-rendered-Dolby-digital-simulated-environment stuff there, and it's still fun!

Oni said:
You guys are getting hung up on the wrong thing here. It doesn't matter how powerful the system is. It's the GAMES that matter!

Hell, I still break out my old NES every now and then for a go. Good times, and 8-bits total! None of this fully-rendered-Dolby-digital-simulated-environment stuff there, and it's still fun!

Thats true to an extent, but with more power comes better physics, more interactivity (is that a word?) and better gfx also help immersion. So if you can have great games and great gfx the gfx are just icing on the cake. Seriously, you wouldn't have upgraded to an R300 based card if gfx and power didn't do something for you.

Be it PC or be it console, I'm getting geeked for an R500 w/ 1600 mhz GDDR2:D

I wonder if it might have be QDDR to get to 1600 mhz.

I'm also excited because the Xbox 2, GC 2 & PS3 should make HDTV gaming a lot more mainstream since Devs won't have to worry as much about horsepower and most games should support it.

those specs are very impressive, any gamer should be drooling right about now just thinking of what's possible with that hardware :D

how about AI that's actually intelligent, calculating thier actions based on the enviroment and location (and not doing stuff just because they are scripted to do it). maybe we could finally get a truly interactive expirence, microphones are already being used for online gaming so why not impliment them into single player games? have a conversation with a NPC without scripted responses and maybe even literally talking your way out of a sticky situation.

having the best graphics is quickly becoming a thing of the past, other areas of games needs to be developed to continue the evolution of entertainment..... maybe i'm asking too much but how much further does technology have to go before this is possible?

OC Noob said:

Both ATI and Microsoft executives are absolutely refusing to answer questions on the Xbox successor, but that didn’t stop us in our mission to be the “Insider’s Choice for Xbox Information.”

We’re proud to bring you today the very first info on the Xbox 2 GPU. Our highly placed source within the industry informed us that the graphic technology powering the Xbox successor is a derivative of the R500, the successor of the R420 to be unveiled later this year at Comdex.

This graphic chip has been in design for longer than a year at ATI’s Marlborough, Mass. office and much like the Xbox’s nVIDIA GPU, the Xbox 2 graphic chip will also be a custom silicon that will have the R500 as its core technology.

This graphic chip is aimed at the next version of the DirectX API, most probably called DirectX 10, which is already in development and simply code named: DirectX/LH. LH stands for Longhorn, the next major desktop Windows release, which will follow Windows XP.

This same source also told us: “Microsoft chose ATI not just because the publicly known problems with nVIDIA but also because current technology shows ATI is the real winner when it comes to pixel shaders performance.” Something that is correct, as several publications have put in evidence that ATI’s Radeon 9800 Pro surpasses the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra in most Pixel Shaders 2.0 benchmarks.

“And we all know graphics’ future is all about pixel shaders” our source added.

This VPU is being designed with the latest technologies in mind, such as GDDR2 SDRAM provided by Samsung running at 1600 MHz. A 128-bit configuration is capable of providing up to 25.6 GB/s peak bandwidth, while its 256-bit mode brings up to a shocking 51.2GB/s peak bandwidth!!! Samsung’s GDDR2 256-megabit memory will enable graphics memory cards of 512 MB, althought it is impossible to confirm if the Xbox 2 will feature such amount of system memory.

Speculating the Xbox 2 might ship in Christmas 2005, we can be sure its graphic chip will support Pixel Shader 3.0, a model that is a significant improvement over today’s 2.0 version, as well as Vertex Shaders 3.0. This will make the Xbox 2, without a doubt, the most powerful console when it comes to visual performance with a graphic chip that, in hardware terms, is two generations ahead of current technology.

wow that will be awesome

ddr2 all the way ehehe

i wonder what other consoles will, compete with xbox2

john240sx said:
those specs are very impressive, any gamer should be drooling right about now just thinking of what's possible with that hardware :D

how about AI that's actually intelligent, calculating thier actions based on the enviroment and location (and not doing stuff just because they are scripted to do it). maybe we could finally get a truly interactive expirence, microphones are already being used for online gaming so why not impliment them into single player games? have a conversation with a NPC without scripted responses and maybe even literally talking your way out of a sticky situation.

having the best graphics is quickly becoming a thing of the past, other areas of games needs to be developed to continue the evolution of entertainment..... maybe i'm asking too much but how much further does technology have to go before this is possible?

I agree 100%. Bad AI and static NPC interaction needs some serious improvement. It would be really nice to get some unscripted interaction with NPCs.

OC Noob said:

I'm also excited because the Xbox 2, GC 2 & PS3 should make HDTV gaming a lot more mainstream since Devs won't have to worry as much about horsepower and most games should support it.

Eh.. GC 2? Where is that info coming from? Last I heard Nintendo is stepping out of the console market to just dominate the handheld market and make games for Xbox.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but aren't all tv's in the future going to be HDTV and the newer consoles will pretty much require HDTV enhanced games? Or at least what is the point of all HDTV's with no games that take advantage of it.

The info on the Xbox 2 is great, but there is still a lot of life left in Xbox. Of course the future is always going to look better. That's how technology is. Thanks for the info tho. :)

KfistoRok said:

Eh.. GC 2? Where is that info coming from? Last I heard Nintendo is stepping out of the console market to just dominate the handheld market and make games for Xbox.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but aren't all tv's in the future going to be HDTV and the newer consoles will pretty much require HDTV enhanced games? Or at least what is the point of all HDTV's with no games that take advantage of it.

The info on the Xbox 2 is great, but there is still a lot of life left in Xbox. Of course the future is always going to look better. That's how technology is. Thanks for the info tho. :)

About Nintendo, people have suggested it, but Nintendo doesn't want to do anything like that so long as they can make their own system. if you heard a rumor and it turned out to be true that would be HUGE HUGE HUGE news, but as of today, Nintedo will be making a next gen console.

Nintendo actually turned down the oppertunity to build a joint system with both Sony and Microsoft at one point.

I'm not sure when they will stop selling standard TVs, you would think its a ways off just because of the pricing for HDTVs, but IMO HDTV for next gen consoles will be a standard feature since they will have the power to spare and its going to be one of those must have features like optical drives after the PS1 came out.

I just wish HL2 for PC and Fable for Xbox would finally come out. I can wait on the HDTVs and the R500s for now:D

I never read Nintendo said they were making another console. Got a link? More power to them if they do. They make good games, no great games, but they are all the same game pretty much just with better graphics. No 3rd parties can make money, making games for Nintendo, b/c Nintendo people only buy Nintendo games. Mario, Metroid, Starfox, ZELDA (One of my favs) etc. That's why Nintendo isn't as profitable as it should be. Nobody wants to make games for them, b/c they get all their game market themselves. And they pretty much can only shell out one good game a month, if that.

Oh and as for Fable, how long has that game been delayed?? Like forever?

Lots of rumors on Fable, some say by Xmas this year, some say March/April next year. I don't think there has been any pfficial date set though.

Heres an article on the expected release date of nintendos next console:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/32423.html

I fully agree about their greatest and seemingly only (not really, but it seems like it) selling point is first party games. If not for the Wind Waker/Ocarina of Time bundle I would have never bought a Cube. Then again my 6 year old absolutly loves it and there are games like Smash Bros that are easy enough for him to play and his 3 year old sister to think she is playing. Xbox doesn't have that and I really haven't seen many PS2 titles that appeal as much as Kirby, Mario and all the rest.

I would love to see MS and Nintendo merge. That would save me the price of an extra console, but I just read an interview with one of their big guys, may have been the myimoto (sp?) guy or just one of the top execs, I can't find the magazine right now to reference it. He pretty much said, so long as they are making money off the hardware they will be making there own system. He seemed very blind to some of the problems GC has had stating stuff like finacially Nintendo is #1 out of the 3 consoles, #2 in world sales and #3 in public perseption. He dismissed online gaming saying when Nintendo did it they would do it first rate/first class or something like that. It made me worry about who is making the decisions there and why. Do they do things because they think they can still dictate the market, are they too proud to realize their mistakes or what.

I will find the magazine and let you guys know which one it was if anyone is interested. Its a very long write up for a gaming mag.

I thought myimoto was stepping down soon. :confused: Can't remember for sure though.

Yea I played every Zelda with a passion since NES, but I just couldn't buy the GC for Zelda alone, which is what I would have been doing, b/c all Nintendo's games are for kids. Yea, yea I knkow about Resident Evil, but so what. I bought the Xbox, b/c it is the future, has better graphs, and appeals to my age more. The same story in Zelda is getting pretty old, and they had to go and say every Zelda is a new Zelda. All the games do not fit together, although they seemed to in the beginning. :(

Only thing I look forward to out of Zelda is a movie. That would be pretty cool. I couldn't think of a better link than Legolas. :D

Back