• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-AN fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallen Phoenix

Has anyone used -AN fittings for a watercooling rig?

I was watching Trucks on TV the other day and saw some black braided stainless steel lines that would look great for a water cooling setup.

what are -AN fittings?

and that stainless braided hose covers are awesome, I did think about doing that. Ill probably do it this spring or something when I get my radiator setup going again

Jon

-an fittings are a type of fitting designed by the military. They're self sealing, and come in sae sizes. Nitrous systems for cars use them. It might be cool to use them. The thing about stainless braided wires are that the wires eventually break and leave the tube like a cactus, with skin cutting little wires all over the surface.

-AN fittings are just another type of threaded fitting like NPT (commonly called pipe thread). These fitting are almost always used on aircraft. They are usually made of aluminum that is anodized. You also find them on professional racing applications. The tubing itself is teflon tubing covered by the stainless steel braid. The hardest thing about working with them is setting up the braided stainless steel tubing. If you cut them wrong, it is possible for the braiding to start fraying and compromise your seal. Other than that, the stuff looks great, but is not cheap. Finding the proper adapters to convert from NPT to -AN should be your first order of business.
If you live near a small airstrip, check with them. They may carry the stuff made by Russel's or by Earl's. Automobile racing supply companies like Summit carry the stuff too.

I'm in the heart of west texas, racing's our gig :D I think I found a heater core to work with for a little while. It's out of a friend's '85 camaro, a little dusty but in good shape and he doesn't think it leaks. He tore the AC out soon after he got the car and dropped a 355 in it :rolleyes:. I'll check and see what I can find in the way of NPT to -AN stuff.

Braided lines look great but like said, they can fray and cut things up. Just like in a car though, the only difference is you have to check them regularly. If a rubber brake line breaks, it leaks... If a braided brake line breaks, it busts and pours all the fluid on the ground.

does anyone have any pictures or information on these -AN fittings? Maybe they could be made?
I still dont get exactly what you guys are talking about, the hosebarbs or the tubing....

Jon

Here's a black anodized -AN fitting

And some braided lines

The lines are stainless steel I think. I'll probably end up using those fittings since they're already black, if I can figure out how to attach everything. The hose I saw in black I can't find yet.

so thats the part the hose goes on? is there some sort of nut that holds them on? They are very interesting looking if thats how they work, kinda like what inovatek uses. I would think you would have to use special hoses for them to seal properly. but I dont know.

Jon

Back