• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird USB/IDE drive box problem - I messed it up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I have one of those boxes that convert an IDE drive to USB2. It specifies that the drive must be set to master (it's a 15 gig Maxtor). It has been working fine when I've used it this way. But today I accidently used it with the drive not set to master (no jumpers at all, which is slave). XP-Pro didn't recognize the drive correctly and was clearly confused when I clicked on it in My Computer.

So I shut it down and set the jumper correctly. Still no good. I plugged it into the IDE on another machine as secondary - this always worked before - Win2K Pro) and it causes the same problem. I guess I either screwed up the formatting or physically damaged the drive.

But when I boot into Win98 command mode off a floppy, it has no trouble seeing the drive and I can even copy files off it. The bios does see the drive in all cases. Why does the drive work in DOS but not XP or 2K? What did I do to this drive?

Thanks, I tried it. PowerMax tells me that the drive is bad and gives a 6 digit error code. Well, the website says that it is for RMA and doesn't really mean anything. So, I suppose I can try to RMA it but I doubt I have the receipt and it might be over 3 years anyway. Plus, maybe I was responsible for doing it in.

I'll try to get the stuff off it through DOS and then lowlevel format and such, see if I can revive it. If not, well, I guess it goes into that big bit bucket in the sky.

Back