• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard memory confusion!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigsoomo

whats up guys...stupid thunderstorm fried my girlfriends mobo so i went and purchased this one this mobo and i wanted to get some memory...but this website said this "PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM IF YOU HAVE A SYSTEM THAT CAN NOT READ A TOTAL OF 512MB OR MORE MAXIMUM MEMORY.

SOME OLDER PENTIUM II / III BASED SYSTEMS CAN NOT TAKE THE CURRENT 128MB MEMORY MODULES. IF YOUR SYSTEM CAN ONLY ACCEPT 128MB PER SLOT MAXIMUM - A TOTAL MAXIMUM MEMORY OF 256MB (2 MEMORY SLOTS) OR 384MB (3 MEMORY SLOTS) NONE OF THE CURRENT GENERATION 128MB MODULES WILL FUNCTION PROPERLY. FOR THESE SYSTEMS WE RECOMMEND YOU CONTACT THE SYSTEM MANUFACTURER DIRECTLY FOR MEMORY UPGRADES
"
what kind of memory do i get then??

That motherboard should be fine... by older PII or PIII systems, I think that they mean the very old slot-based method of holding the processor (since this method was used in both the Pentium 2s and some early P3s) but since your motherboard is a Socket 370, it is fairly new, and will be able to support the bigger 512meg memory sticks.

Back