• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts P4C800E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

This is very bizarre. After having installed my P4C800E-Deluxe, I am now having a very strange problem; the computer, running Windows XP Pro, will restart seemingly randomly.

Or rather, not entirely randomly; it seems to happen at specific points, although their selection is arbitrary. It seems to happen when one specific file (the latest onboard sound drivers) is partly downloaded at a particular point, and it also happened at a specific point when installing the .inf drivers that came with the CD.

The monitor will go blank, the HDD will spin down, then the computer will restart. It is very bizarre. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the problem? I haven't even overclocked it yet.

Odd indeed. I saw your Thread and initially though it could possibly be the PSU, but with your symptoms i'm stumped. Anyone else with any ideas?

This was happening to me as well, then I got this error: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3546 -- which seems to be pretty common and apparently had to do with the random reboots I was getting, so that may be why you're getting them. Maybe XP has a problem with the P4C800-E.

Are you overclocked, because mine will do it if i push it too far. I have noticed that after componets burn it they run faster or "can run faster stable" I just ordered my second stick of Corsair PC3200LLPT 512MB and system would not run at the 257 like it was. The only thing stable was 250 with 5/4 ratio. Now after several hours of test and burn-ins it will run 252 5/4 @ 2-3-2-5 or as it list in our bios 2-2-3-5. Hope this helps

As I wrote in my original post, I'm not overclocking it yet. It does this at stock speeds. However, since I moved the DIMMs from the blue slots to the black slots, I haven't had this problem, although I have had the random "System failed CPU test" at startup error.

Make sure your CPU is seated properly and the Heatsink is seated snug. If the CPU is not getting proper cooling it can freeze fast enough. Possibly a bent pin on the CPU?

Try narrowing down the memory to one stick of RAM, and all PCI slots cleared until you get everything installed. I had this problem setting up this rig, however it pulled that crap while I was setting up SP1, so that lead to a long night after having to redo it all over again. I realized anytime you are setting the rig up clean you should minimize the PCI cards, and memory, and only have enough of either to get going, then add them one at a time. Let me know

Thank you for your advice :) The problem seems to have been related, bizarrely enough, to a particular CD-ROM (the one that came with the motherboard). The problem only occurred when that disc was in the drive. After its removal, I have not had the problem.

I had this problem too, it turned out to be the network diagnostic software that was loading at bootup. If it starts up again, try commenting out the programs in the run registry key one at a time (append a .not to the end of the .exe or something similar) and see if you can narrow it down that way. Would be odd if it was a CD, but who knows.

I've the same problem... My pc seems to be rock stable (run memtest for 2 hours), I can play any game for 2/3 hours, watercooled, but when I'm browsing or doing something in the desktop it reboots ramdomly... for example, when i download something with FlashGet, sometimes it reboots when I add a new download... this is really strange, it seems to be that when windows loads some type of files, it makes the system really instable. Anyway, I've HyperThreating acrivated, might it be that? I don't want to format and reinstall eveything... :rolleyes:

Back