• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bull

I've been trying to fix this problem for a couple of weeks now and it is really starting to bother me. Windows update keeps trying to update the software for Windows update and is stuck in a loop. Ever since they changed the software after the blaster virus I haven't been able to update anything. I have tried there fix but it does not work. this is the fix.
Close Internet Explorer.
2. Delete IUCtl.dll and the IUEngine.dll from both the system32\dllcache and system32 folders.
3. Delete the registry string value “SelfupdateStatus” present in the
HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\windowsupdate\IUcontrol key.
4. Delete iuenginenew.dll, if it exists.
Everytime I try to delete the IUCtl and IUEnigine they pop up 10 seconds later.
I have turned off my firewall and put the settings at the lowest but I still get the same thing.

I have gone to the Microsoft site but I haven't been able to find a way to manually download the update software. I have also did a search here but didn't find anyone else with the problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Daniel

EDIT: I also have SP1 installed.

The Windows update site says I have to use IE. I tried Mozzilla but it doesn't work.

Have you checked to make sure "Cryptographic Services" is set to "Automatic" in Services?...Start | Run | Type services.msc and click OK | Scroll down to "Cryptographic Services", right click and select "Properties" | Make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Automatic". :)

I checked the crypto services and it's set for automatic. I also redownloaded the blaster patch to see if that would help but it didn't. I think I'm going back to the Microsoft site to see what I can do to find out about this. If anyone else has any more ideas please tell me as I'm out of ideas as to what the problem is. Ever since they changed their software I haven't been able to update at all.

I have fixed the problem. There was a gentleman on MS newsgroup that clued me in. It's very simple and I can't believe it worked.
go to the start menu, then help and support, then just click on keep your computer up to date with windows update. Everything works fine from here. The right authenticating window comes up and then you reboot and Update works just like it used to. Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it immensely.

who installed windows on your computer? i assume it is XP machine, and also sp1 was made soley to prevent piracy. Unless your cdkey has not been changed since you installed sp1 odds are thats your problem as a new sp1 key that is authintic will let you download form the windows update site. Having sp1 installed with an older key will not let you download at all.

Yep thats true but in no way or form was i suggesting the use of, or how to perform ^^, i already had a incident of posting a link that i should not have but i forgot and it was my mistake.

But in that reply that i posted, i was simply explaining to him that SP1 was made for that purpose and others (security patches etc) but that one mainly, and i told him what you would even find on the microsoft website too. If thats not kosher i dont know what is :)

There is nothing wrong with N3xu5's post as far as I'm concerned. He just posed a question. Please don't stir up an issue that is clearly not there. As you see the problem is fixed so that you know that I have a legit copy. Thank you.

I've been having problems updating windows lately, and I'm getting tired of all the security flaws, so i've come up with an idea to do away with all this windows bull s*#@.

I'm buying a mac

He is referring to talking about piracy.

BECAUSE THAT'S JUST AS BAD AS POSTING LINKS TO WAREZ SITES AND TELLING US HOW TO PIRATE WINDERZ EX-PEE AND STUFF. OMG! DEATH TO THE INFIDEL! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm buying a mac

Try Redhat or Mandrake first so you don't have to buy new hardware. :p

Back