• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goofyman23

Just put together a pc from scrap parts I had for my gf, but it wont even post, or send a signal to monitor...what could the problem be?

ASUS A7M mobo -been in anti-static wrap for about 1-2 years
Athlon 1.4 -been sitting in plastic container for about a year
Corsair PC2100 512 (one stick) -tried both slots
Diamond TNT2 32mb (something like that), been sitting in anti-static wrap for about 1-2 years
Using onboard sound
Old 24X CD-Rom
WD 13GB hdd -been sitting on desk for about 6 months

The mobo lights its green light when I turn pc on.
Heatsink gets hot.
No signal to monitor
CdRom powers on and spins up
hdd powers up and reads (ie clicking noises)

Thanks in advance!

Make sure the video card is fully seated, along with everything else. Also, try clearing the CMOS. Other than those things I can't really think of anything else ATM.

No dice, same deal...Do you think either the cpu or mb are crapped out?

I guess its possible that the mobo is dead. But if it worked before you put it into storage, it should still work. :-/

1. Check and make sure everything is plugged in right and seated correctly.
2. Reset cmos.
3. No cpu fan in cpu fan header - Sometimes comps are set not to start if you don't plug the heatsink fan into the header on the motherboard.
4. Disconnect all non-essential parts and see if it boots that way.
5. Are you receiving any beeps?
6. Remove and then put the mobo battery back in.

7-8 are last resorts, hopefully you won't need to try them.
7. Mounting standoffs might be shorting out the mobo, remount the motherboard or test it outside of the case, only do this as a last resort.
8. Make sure heatsink is contacting core right.

Good Luck! Hope this list of things helps you. Let us know what happens. If all else fails swap out parts to find whats dead. All essential parts could be the dead one so try everything, including, motherboard, processor, video card, memory and power supply.

Matt

Well I think the heatsink fan plug issue may be why becuase its not connected to the mb, looks like a trip to the pc store tomorow.
I appreciate all the help guys.

Goofyman23 said:
Well I think the heatsink fan plug issue may be why becuase its not connected to the mb, looks like a trip to the pc store tomorow.
I appreciate all the help guys.

Yep some good motherboards have that protection feature that keeps people from frying the T-Bird's which were best known for being mini spaceheaters :p. But normaly it is turned off in the bios unless you enable it, so if you cleared the BIOS then it should have put all options to defalt.

but these are the main parts for a post, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video, and Power. If any of those parts are falty most likely it will not post. If I were you I would check that T-Bird for cracks becuase They are also known to crack very easly. It looks to me the power is fine.

You get no reaction from the computer to the monitor correct? ok, well after checking the processor then I would check the Video and motherboard. I feel that it *might* be video.

if the computer beeps, the beep codes will tell you what is wrong. If it doesnt beep, either your speaker isnt plugged in right or your mobo or processor is malfunctioning.

Back