• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd slota 950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad929

Please help!
I have an ASUS K7V with an Athlon 650, PC133 RAM with a GeForce2 GTS. I just bought an Athlon 950 and after a few minutes of running, the system locks up. If there are any settings I should make that anyone knows about, help would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Max

Take a look at the temps at all? If you don't have good contact between the hsf and cpu die then it will keep overheating and lock up.

mad929 (May 11, 2001 09:03 p.m.):
Please help!
I have an ASUS K7V with an Athlon 650, PC133 RAM with a GeForce2 GTS. I just bought an Athlon 950 and after a few minutes of running, the system locks up. If there are any settings I should make that anyone knows about, help would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Max

AMD's are giving of MUCH heat, so be sure to use a good heatsink, and use thermal paste (because of CPU-cooler contact), I hope you do use thermal paste? If not, GET SOME REAL SOON! plain metal contact won't do, thermal paste is mandatory on high speed CPU's! The white standard grease will do. If you have no other tweaks activated, your sys. should be real stable, just like your 650 (asuming it had no problems before...).

Have fun with your new athlon !

To all of those who have read my problem, I have had some responses
and have decided you need more info to help my problem. Well here it is...
after Windows 98 boots up onto desktop, system runs stable for a few minutes then locks up. I have tried manually setting jumpers or jumper-free in the BIOS. No matter what I have tried nothing seems to work, but I can shut system down, install my 650 processor, boot-up and everything is fine. I think I have a bad processor.

Mad Max

P.S. I am using white thermal paste with a golden orbital heat sync. I don't think during what little time it runs, that heat is a problem.

Although you shouldn't have to try upping the voltage a tad & see if it improves stability...

Also make sure you don't have a Slot A T-Bird as they are not all that stable on KX-133 based boards...

Back