• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad / Blowhole air flow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

I was thinking, how should i set them up? currently the blowhole is blowing into the case and the 4x80mm fans on the radiator is pushing the air out like the diagram below:
flow2.gif

heres what i was thinking of doing. Reversing the whole thing to make the radiator suck the air into the case, and the blow hole blow it out.
flow1.gif

Well hot air rises so the second idea would work work better in that case. But it seems by that your res is in the back? If so then thats the best setup you would get but I would say put that res in the bottom of the front and suck fresh air in over the res then into the case.

why would i put it on the front, the plastic cover on the front will slow down the airflow. The fans connected to the back are sucking fresh air in from the outside.

Suck cool air from outside the case through the rad in, Blow hot air out. Fans will destroy any natural convection currents, so it really doesn't matter where you put things. The reason you don't see a lot of rads mounted in the tops of cases is because they become a b**** to get all the air out.

I was sad when i recieved my black ice. As i went to install it, the rad was too big by 1/2". This led to the bottom of the rad covering up the opening for the AGP port. So i ended up taking the harddrive bay out, using the 5.25" harddrive adapter to put it in one of my cd drive bays, and drilling holes to connect the radiator in the front of my case.

The metal containers i have (harddrive/floppy bays) all have either 3 or 4 spaces, Is there anywhere i can get one that only has 1 space? If i find one i will be able to add my floppy drive.

imho "traditional" fan placement results in more air mixing, what's good for hard disk & VGA.

But I would just try both options and check temperatures on all important parts.

DarkDraco said:
I was sad when i recieved my black ice. As i went to install it, the rad was too big by 1/2". This led to the bottom of the rad covering up the opening for the AGP port. So i ended up taking the harddrive bay out, using the 5.25" harddrive adapter to put it in one of my cd drive bays, and drilling holes to connect the radiator in the front of my case.

That's too bad. :(
The hope was that this rad would fit on the back of almost ANY case, since most have two 80mm fan holes in the back ....

DarkDraco said:

The metal containers i have (harddrive/floppy bays) all have either 3 or 4 spaces, Is there anywhere i can get one that only has 1 space? If i find one i will be able to add my floppy drive.

I don't get what you're saying here. Most cases have OPEN 5.25 inch bays, OPEN 3.5" bays, and HIDDEN 3.5" bays. USUALLY, CDROM, baybus, etc go in the OPEN 5.25 bay, floppy goes in the open 3.5 bay, and hard drives go in the hidden 3.5 bay.

It sounds like you have your hard drive, and a cdrom drive, taking up TWO of your open / external 5.25" bays.
So your floppy could fit the external / open 3.5" bay. OR, you could get a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter, and put your floppy in a third open 5.25 slot, these adapters can be had at compusa or any computer store pretty cheap.

If you only have 2 5.25 bays, and are asking if you can put your floppy and hard drive in the same external 5.25 bay ... I haven't seen a normal adapter for that.

GOOD LUCK!

believe he means that he removed the cage that holds the 2 external 3.5 bays.

maybe u could cut it? so that only the top section is left? screw them into the bottom of the 5 1/4 bays to secure them, and there u have it.

J.

OH, so BOTH the internal / hard drive cage AND the external 3.5" cage has been removed........

1) I have NEVER seen an internal cage for a case sold anywhere. Cases are different enough that case internals almost never mix and match, so a 2 bay cage for case A will never fit in a 4 bay designed case B.

AND if the case has say 3 external 3.5" drive bays, the manufacturer would never even think of making a cage for just 2.

VERY SLIGHT POSSIBILITY is that some of the larger case manufacturer (e.g. lian-li) may make different size cases with standard cage connectors, so MAYBE you could sway in a 2 drive cage from a mini tower into a 3 drive mid tower case.

This would be a better question for the case mod group, and someone MIGHT even have a cage that would work that they would give you if they've modded it out of their case.

2) First recomendation would be to cut it. Ya, you said you didn't want to, but a good set of metal / case snips will cut a drive cage easy and smooth. CompUSA by me even sells such a tool for like $10.

3) Use another free 5.25 inch bay with a 3.5" floppy adapter.

4) OR, can you mod the BACK of the case? I understand your rad doesn't fit the stock 2-80mm fans because it is too long. Can you move the rad up "higher" and just drill new holes? Yes, this will make some of the case cover up the rad, restricting air flow, but snips again can easy and cleanly cut away a half inch of case, AND you could cover it up with a cool fan grill.

But maybe the power supply blocks you from moving the rad up ..... depends on the case.

Good luck. But no, you probably won't be able to buy another cage that will fit.

none1 said:
4) OR, can you mod the BACK of the case? I understand your rad doesn't fit the stock 2-80mm fans because it is too long. Can you move the rad up "higher" and just drill new holes? Yes, this will make some of the case cover up the rad, restricting air flow, but snips again can easy and cleanly cut away a half inch of case, AND you could cover it up with a cool fan grill.

The problem with the rad in the back is that the the top touches my PSU and the bottom covers part of the AGP slot. So no matter how much modding i do, it wont work. Unless i cut my PSU which wont be happening.

and ill prolly end up cutting my bay.

Back