• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I want to pick up some good memory that will OC good.
All I need is PC2700, I have a KT333 mobo and plan on keeping the FSB at 166.

But I want to run the memory at more aggressive timings and my current RAM (kingston valueram) cant take it. All I want is one 512mb stick.

Should I get PC3200 or something to ensure that I will be able to run at high speeds(and for future upgrades)?

I dont want to spend a ton, actually I want to spend as little as possible, but I DO want something high quality.

I dunno which brand to go with, Mushkin? Corsair? Crucial?

To sum it up, here are my specs:
Quality brand
Ability to run at PC2700 (very aggressive timings)
512mb
<$150

thanks.

Anything with bh5 chips should get you 5-2-2-2.0 Ch5 should get you 5-3-2-2.0 and maybe 5-2-2-2.0 some people have luck with RTC and some don't.

Personally I'd recommend the buffalo pc3200 (ch5, ~90$) or pc3700 (bh5, ~100$). Mushkin has a promo 140$ for a stick of bh5 guarenteed to do pc3200 2-2-2... and I hear their warranty and support is unbeatable. I'd recommend that if you put alot of value on customer service. I'm not sure on the specifics of buffalo's warranty.

Oh and you might have to manually set the timings with your old stick, Pc2700 with whatever timings it can do, shut down, swap sticks and then tighten the timings. Im not sure how well 333 boards handle the spd of pc3200 and pc3700 (although I hear the buffalo's spd is 2700 anyway, so it should work fine).

I'll have to check out the buffalo ram.

btw, what do the timings mean? Some people say 2-2-2-5. Some say 5-2-2-2. Are those two the same? I think I understand what the 2's are, but what speed does the 5 pertain to?

Back