• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will They ever make an Athlon MP over 2800+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

Title says it, will they ever make an athlon mp over 2800+, you know for the ppl that cant afford an opteron.
Another question, say i bought 2 athlon xp 1700+ and modded them to an mp, would that dual athlon mp msi board allow me to overclock them to like 2.08ghz each? 1700s easily do 2.08 ghz now, right? And that msi board, i want to have 1 gig fo ram in it, would the 2 512MB i use have to be ecc? If possible i would like ot make it as cheap as possible, can i make 2 512s that are non ecc and non registered work well?

Will AMD release another Socket A MP CPU? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think so but anything can happen. It would be nice if there was a slower/cheaper Barton based MP. Yeah yeah, you can mod XPs I know.

The MSI K7D Master/L can only do multipliers up to 12.5 and FSB up to 150mhz in BIOS. This gives you a maximum of 1875mhz unless you hard wire the bridges on top of the CPUs. IF you are planning on getting two XPs to mod to MP I strongly suggest you are sure they aren't the new design as reported here. A great place to shop for some cheap pairs of pre modded XPs or some nice MPs is the for sale or trade forum at 2cpu.com I got my true MP Pallys there and I
heartpump.gif
them :)

A 1700+ TbredB should do 2.08ghz no problem if they have a default vcore of 1.5v and a JIUHB stepping. JIUHB stepping with a default of 1.6v should do it easily as well with moderate voltage increases. JIUCB stepping chips are the weakest and may require hefty voltage to get to that speed. Read around the forums to find out how to tell the difference between a 1.5v and 1.6v CPU.

Follow CMC's guide for cheap duallies as linked by aftermath. I recommend you go for PC2700 non reg memory so you can crank your timings and still save yourself 50 - 70 bucks (assuming 1gb).

Hey Gnerma! Haven't seen you around in a long time. Where ya' been?

Just so you know, that story about XP-MP mods is a little inaccurate.

This new chip design has been around a good while, and someone figured out months ago that all you have to do is clean out the last L5 pit, give it a tiny scrape with a razor or something (just enough so you can see a shiny spot) then fill that pit with conductive ink or defogger paint.

The new L5 mod is actually easier than the old method. A LOT of people have done it and had fantastic success. I just modded a pair of XP2500 Bartons with this method, last night, and they booted right up as MP's, this morning.

The new chip design does make the bridge-blowing multi method difficult, if not impossible, but you can always do the pin-mod which is really easy and works consistently. Best part, is that the mod is easily reversible or changable, if you decide you need a different multi.

ok thanks. for the pin mod, i find it very difficult to wrap wires around the pins, is it ok to put the wires in the pins on the mainboard, and connect them like that?

dguy6789 said:
ok thanks. for the pin mod, i find it very difficult to wrap wires around the pins, is it ok to put the wires in the pins on the mainboard, and connect them like that?

Absolutely. That is how I do it. Go to ocinside's diagram and change it to "Socket View". This will show you where to drop some little wires in the socket.

I would never think about wire wrapping the CPU. To me, that is much too difficult.

ok awesome, i tried once before, it took me hours to get em allaround the right ones without touchign others, then they fell off! i was so ****sed i almost killed my cpu. Im gonna try out that pin mod then.

cmcquistion said:
Hey Gnerma! Haven't seen you around in a long time. Where ya' been?

Just so you know, that story about XP-MP mods is a little inaccurate.

This new chip design has been around a good while.....
I've been trolling the games forum mostly but figured I should diversify. I have not been following the industry as closely as I used to as you can tell :rolleyes: Thanks for letting me know that OCinside was way behind on that one.

Built a dual opteron yet? :)

im gonna be getting a pretty heft quantity of cash to make a pc in the up comming months, it is now a matter of athlon mp, xeon, or opteron, depending on cash. i would rather have dual athlon mp 2800s with 300Gb harddrive and rad 9800 pro and the works, then an opteron 240 system with a gf2 and some wimpy other stuff. With my cash, i will make the best system i can make for that money, must be dual, dual cant be beat, well maybe 4 or 8 cpus would hehe.

Back