• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp shared folder, redhat 9.0, linux ftp server...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

ok, here is what I want to do and i do not know it is possible.

I want to setup my linux machine to be a dedicated ftp server, however i want to be able to copy files from my windows xp box, to my linux computer, so there has to be a shared network folder that both machines can see, then setup an ftp server that will serve those files on the linux box.

is this possible? I am pretty sure it is, I know how to do it in windows xp but this is a little experiment in my uphill battle with learning linux. anyway, if so i know it'll probably have alot of steps but, how?

of course it is :)

alright what you need, to copy files from your windows xp box to your linux box

you need the smbfs module in your kernel, or loaded into memory
you need samba installed
then type
without quotes
"mount -t smbfs //hostnameofwindowsxpbox/sharename /mount/point"

that will let you access the shared folder, of the windows xp box

setting it up with a shared folder on the linux computer is a little harder but not much

tkae a look at titan386's samba sticky

how can i view what linux is calling workgroup computers on my network? i was reading and found a command called "nautilus" but it won't run on my computer. I am stuck and the main reason is because i don't know what linux wants to call my windows computer, and what it looks like to my linux box on my network.

I got my smb.conf file configured but i still cannot see it on my windows computer. any ideas?

You need to know the Netbios name, the name of the share, and the user/password for the Windows box. These are set on the Windows box itself. Once you know that, you should be able to mount shares as Fiji described. Alternatively, you can use smbclient, which has an interface similar to the command line ftp program. Check its man page for more info.

ok, what do i put in for the mount/point portion of "mount -t smbfs //hostnameofwindowsxpbox/sharename /mount/point"

/mount/point is a directory on your system. Make on anywhere and use that.

ok, good news and bad news.... i don't know what i did exactly, the good news is i got it to mount, i can see the files from my shared folder on my windows box, however, i mounted it to my home directory, ie mount /home/rutkus now i don't have anything on my desktop, and my desktop file is gone, did i screw it up?

talk about an act of god, i don't know if what i did before was bad or not, but my fuse went just went out and shut down all my computers, so none of the previous info got saved, i created a new directory, and mounted the folder to there, now i got access to the windows end. woohoo, thnx,

however my linux box still doesn't show up on the neighborhood network...

Rutkus said:

however my linux box still doesn't show up on the neighborhood network...

You need to set up Samba for that. Try the sticky; let's us know how it goes :)

ok so far i am on track but i still cannot connect, i am not sure why, here is where i stand.

nmblookup MSHOME
querying MSHOME on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.100 MSHOME<00>
192.168.1.101 MSHOME<00>

smbclient \\\\MSHOME\\rutkus
added interface ip=192.168.1.101 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Connection to MSHOME failed

ok, i can see it on my linux box, however i cannot get into the folders that are shared, says i do not have access to the files, what do i edit to allow that?

First, ensure that you've created a samba user with a matching username and samba password as the user on the Windows box. Remember to set the samba password with smbpasswd, not with regular passwd.

Secondly, check that you've defined shares in your smb.conf, and they point to locations which the samba user has read permissions, and if you want to be able to write to them as well, write permissions.

i have checked them in the smb.conf i now get a login screen when i try to enter the linux shared directory, one thing that is weird is that linux calls itself "local host" however when i enter in the login/pw combo that i changed it to when i enter the smbpasswd command i get nothing. i also tried setting it to public = yes and i get the same thing.

When the hostname or NetBios name of the Linux box is "localhost", problems tend to occur. I suggest you either change your hostname to something different, or specify a different Netbios name in your smb.conf. Then try again.

Also, it's generally a good idea to use smbclient from the Linux box to check that Samba is functional before attempting to connect through a Windows box. This helps narrow down the possible issues when you encounter a problem. Check the smbclient man page for specific info on how to use it.

smbclient is functional, i when i also run ps ax | more, it shows the two services running and i set them to daemons, in my smb.conf i set my "workgroup" to be the workgroup of my home network "mshome" and the server string is "samba server" which is what i set it to, when i view my smb.conf file,

i see nothing that even says "localhost" in the smb.conf file. when i am in my windows box, i see "samba server (localhost)" when i "ls" in the samba directory i also get a file called "smb.conf~" i don't know what that is,

the only thing i can see that says localhost is the "lsmhosts" file and that says "localhost" do i change this around?

There are two ways to get around that problem. First, you could change your hostname (consult your distribution's documentation; the proceedure is distro-specific). Or, you can add this line to your smb.conf, in the [global] section:
Code:
netbios name = MYSERVER
change MYSERVER to whatever you want.

ok i can transfer files to my linux box now its not 100% yet but it can be done so i'm satisfied for now, woohoo, thnx. now on to the ftp server, I am looking up info on setting up the server, i am not getting anywhere with it, i tried vsftpd, and wu-ftpd and nothing? i also did a search on the red hat knowlege base and it wasn't too helpful, can someone point me in the right direction please?

ok, i am working with vsftpd but i'm confused on getting the thing running, i did the ps ax to see what was running and i saw nothing with vsftpd, how do i get this running?

i feel like i'm ice skating in a wheelchair.... i'm getting confused because i don't know some other commands,

what is the linux equivalent to windows' "ipconfig" so i can see what my ip # is registering as? also, i am trying to use no-ip dns forwarder on my linux machine, so the desired outcome is one ftp server for windows and one for linux. will this be a problem? vsftpd seems to use port 20 and my windows ftp server uses 21 so i don't think so but, i'm kind of stuck right now.

Last edited:
You might want to check out the vsftpd docs, which can be found here:
ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans/untar/vsftpd-1.2.0/

You'd probably be most interested in the README and FAQ files.

As far as actually starting the server goes, your distribution should provide scripts for doing that, assuming your copy of vsftpd came with your distribution. You could probably also type "vsftpd" as root in a console to start the daemon, but I would prefer to start it via script.

FTP, by default, uses port 20 for data and port 21 as the control port. Keep this in mind if you are setting up multiple FTP servers.

Back