• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do these rubber fan silencer plates work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aristotle-IV

Registered
They are placed between the fan and the case sell for about 6 bucks a pop.

Anyone know if they are effective?

I have 4 tornados and i have to dumb them down a lot, so some of there power is wasted, but i would pump em up if these things work and would aid noise problems

just use rubber gromets, they are 10x cheaper and work just as well, if not better. O-rings are softer so might dampen the noise more than grommets but cost a little more. check hardware/plumbing stores for small ones

Amen to that. Just grab some at your local hardware store. I hate when manufacturers take advantage of new computer enthusiasts by charging 10 for 5 zip ties (you can easily get 50 for 3-4 dollars), and then charging 6 dollars for some rubber....

Well yeah.

I know fo guys who just cut up rubber bands rather than paying for grommets, yes that sounds cheap but does it work the same?

Aristotle-IV said:
I know fo guys who just cut up rubber bands rather than paying for grommets, yes that sounds cheap but does it work the same?

Its the same principle so yeah it should work more or less as good, you could actually use any sort of rubber to do it. Another idea that just popped into my head is an old mouse mat its fairly spongey so if you can pack it between the fan and the actuall case it should work.

People named chris are genious's.

btw my name is chris too in case you didnt get that yet.

Although I've never heard any noticable difference from using grommets, I use them anyway =p. Although... I've had an easier time lately making little rubber washers out of mouse-pad neoprene. Easier to cut, same theoretical sound/vibration isolation.

I got it :rolleyes:

just remember you may have to get longer fan screws if you use the mouse pad since some of them can be rather thick.. but grommets are still pretty cheap in comparison. O-rings might be better cause they are softer at times but cost a little more.. its all preference though. as said, any kind of rubber would do it as long as its somewhat soft

Back