• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD T-900 Socket; Copper or Aluminum interconnect??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gwballs

Registered
hi I have a OEM thunderbird 900mhz socket(w/Coolermaster CPU fan &sink, it supports upto like 1000 according to their web site). My system does not run stable when OCd to 990mhz -110FBS-temp around 40-50'C (it locks up after a while. I have called AMD about this and they will not tell me.. what is going on with that??
Anyhow I think it mite have something to do with the interconnects. If anyone know how to tell if an AMD CPU has copper interconnects please let me know. thankyou

Antec SX830 workstation case w/300PS. (4)80mm fan slots with 3 fans, T-900, 448 MB PC133s, Gigabyte 7-ZX Rev1.0 Mobo-VIA KT-133, 686A (no mutiplier support what so ever, its Autodeteced :( ), ATA100 WD 7200rpm 30 gig HD w/ Maxtor ATA100 controller, SB X-gamer+5.1, realmagic Mpeg II card, ethernet, Hercules GFII MX, TDK 12X10X32 and I/O magic DVD drive.

Unfortunately, most chipsets for AMDs don't cooperate while trying to overclock the FSB. 107 will give you trouble usually, and much more trouble is bound to come out of 110! You can't really go about it like you can an Intel chip - unlock the multiplier using the 'pencil trick' and try to find the highest point you can boot at with the FSB still at the 100 setting. You should get to at least 1000 stably. From your highest point, lower it one multiplier place (by .5) and boost the FSB to 103-105. This will usually give satisfactory results, I find.

What is the color of the cpu's core? Green or Blue? Green will give you aluminum interconnects and Blue's have copper. And you can manuall set the multiplier via the L1 bridges on the cpu. Check around for the how to. And good luck

Are all the high speed tbirds blue then? the Athlon 4's look blue so this makes sense since they have copper interconnects!

My system does not run stable when OCd to 990mhz -110FBS

The problem is most likely your KT133 motherboard. They don't like FSB overclocking very much. Not many of the KT133 boards can do 110 or better FSB.

temp around 40-50'C

It would help if you could be more precise with the temperature. a 10C "range" is quite a swing.

it locks up after a while. I have called AMD about this and they will not tell me.. what is going on with that??

Your FSB is probably too high. AMD most likely won't answer your questions because doing so would give the appearance of supporting overclocking

Anyhow I think it mite have something to do with the interconnects. If anyone know how to tell if an AMD CPU has copper interconnects please let me know. thankyou

I believe it's your FSB limitation.

Antec SX830 workstation case w/300PS. (4)80mm fan slots with 3 fans, T-900, 448 MB PC133s, Gigabyte 7-ZX Rev1.0 Mobo-VIA KT-133, 686A (no mutiplier support what so ever, its Autodeteced :( ), ATA100 WD 7200rpm 30 gig HD w/ Maxtor ATA100 controller, SB X-gamer+5.1, realmagic Mpeg II card, ethernet, Hercules GFII MX, TDK 12X10X32 and I/O magic DVD drive.[/quote]

Terry

el (May 14, 2001 02:46 p.m.):
Are all the high speed tbirds blue then? the Athlon 4's look blue so this makes sense since they have copper interconnects!

The color of the CPU is the result of the polishing compound used. It was widely speculated that the early T-Birds with a green core were aluminum interconnects and the Blue were copper.

I had a green 1.33 (the only one I've seen so far) that broke 1.6GHz with (extreme) air cooling.

It's merely the final polish used on the die. AMD has been pretty quiet as of late regarding the Aluminum vs. copper interconnect issue.

My 1 Ghz 'AXIA' has a reddish color on the die. I know that AMD's official line has changed regarding copper interconnects. It was expressed on the Athlon FAQ page on AMD's site, that all of the Dresden product were 1Ghz+ and had copper interconnects. This piece of the FAQ has been eliminated.

The chances are extremely strong that your 900Mhz T-bird has aluminum interconnects. As others have stated, the KT133 chipset is not a great overclocker, you'll get better results from a combination of multiplier overclocking, and FSB, than FSB alone.

You may be able to run the FSB at 110Mhz, with either an increase in VIO..don't go over 3.6v or with active cooling of the Northbridge chipset, and PLL generator..or some combination of the two.

I would suggest that you buy a quality CPU cooler, prior to pushing your CPU much further. Any of those listed here will be strong candidates.

Best of Success,

T

Sketch (May 14, 2001 02:36 p.m.):
What is the color of the cpu's core? Green or Blue? Green will give you aluminum interconnects and Blue's have copper. And you can manuall set the multiplier via the L1 bridges on the cpu. Check around for the how to. And good luck

You cannot change the multiplier via L1. That will simply unlock the chip. Manual changes must be made to other bridges.

Well at what point is one going to know if he has a Copper interconnect chip? Anandtech said all the highend tbirds and the palmino cores but what does highend tbirds mean??? I want to get a tbird and I bet the best OCers are the copper interconnected ones.

el (May 14, 2001 04:20 p.m.):
Well at what point is one going to know if he has a Copper interconnect chip? Anandtech said all the highend tbirds and the palmino cores but what does highend tbirds mean??? I want to get a tbird and I bet the best OCers are the copper interconnected ones.

I think that at this juncture it is better to think in terms of stepping codes, rather than die colors, etc.

You are aware of the premium stepping codes: 'AVIA' 'AXIA'? As far as I've seen they've been showing up in processors starting at 1Ghz. There was a report that a 950Mhz. processor was an 'AXIA', but I prefer to treat this as an anomaly.

If you buy a 266Mhz 1+ Ghz.(which will work very nicely with your Iwill board) Your chances of getting a highly desirable 'AXIA' core are vastly better.

If there are computer shows in your area, you can hand pick your own. That is what I have done. Think 1Ghz and up, 266Mhz(to avoid multiplier issues with your board), and if possible hand pick your processor..another thing that can work in your favor, is to select one that has a letter for the first character of the third line.

T

DE (May 14, 2001 03:13 p.m.):
Sketch (May 14, 2001 02:36 p.m.):

You cannot change the multiplier via L1. That will simply unlock the chip. Manual changes must be made to other bridges.

I'm sorry but yes you can! You have to lock and unlock the appropriate 4 bridges at the L1 bridges. Just as amd sends them out with certain ones connected and others not to get the 9.5 or 10 multiplier. I'm just not sure what the configurations are, but I know they are out there posted on sites. Just to let you know. I think I found it at www.tomshardware.com

gwballs (May 13, 2001 05:33 a.m.):
hi I have a OEM thunderbird 900mhz socket(w/Coolermaster CPU fan &sink, it supports upto like 1000 according to their web site). My system does not run stable when OCd to 990mhz -110FBS-temp around 40-50'C (it locks up after a while. I have called AMD about this and they will not tell me.. what is going on with that??

Antec SX830 workstation case w/300PS. (4)80mm fan slots with 3 fans, T-900, 448 MB PC133s, Gigabyte 7-ZX Rev1.0 Mobo-VIA KT-133, 686A (no mutiplier support what so ever, its Autodeteced :( ), ATA100 WD 7200rpm 30 gig HD w/ Maxtor ATA100 controller, SB X-gamer+5.1, realmagic Mpeg II card, ethernet, Hercules GFII MX, TDK 12X10X32 and I/O magic DVD drive.

nope not the copper.. but the Gigabyte 7-ZX i had one (had) that board only alows fsb manipulation when what you realy need is the ability to change the multiplier....abit kt7 ;D

hi, I'm dissapointed that my Proc has aluminum interconnects, oh well. How can you find out if the Proc is made in Texas or Germany?
Anyone know anything about changing the mutiplier by reconnecting the L1 brige? I Have connected ALL the L1 by using some conductive epoxy (plituim, silver, gold and alumium) from work, but after thats done, my comp would not boot at all. I had to wipe the L1 clean in order to get it working.
I happens to work at a microelectrionic modules company, I can get some good matrial(conductive or non conductive epoxy, resistor ink, gold wires, liquid metal etc.) or the job so if anyone can tell me how that would be great! thanks

Back