• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHEAP duron system, suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Door Knob

I am building a system for a friend. I was wondering what you suggest for a good duron and mobo combination. This is a deffinate budget pc. I was looking at the 750 and 800mhz durons, wondering how well they overclock. I did look at the database. Looking for a cheap board, how are the kt133 vs the kt133a? On board sound is a plus, onboard vga nor agp needed (i have a rage pro pci layin around). Where do you get your stuff?

Thanks, from an intel man.

www.pricewatch.com is not to bad, but have to watch the S&H $$.

Comp shows are great also.

In So Cal here we have a bunch to chose from.

I still like my Abit KT7-E mobo, no O/B video though.

You should be able to pick up a combo for around $200.00 or so. Mobo,CPU,V/C.

Even Ebay somtimes has good V/C deals, just depends what you/he wants.

Good hunting.

Door Knob (May 13, 2001 11:16 a.m.):
I am building a system for a friend. I was wondering what you suggest for a good duron and mobo combination. This is a deffinate budget pc. I was looking at the 750 and 800mhz durons, wondering how well they overclock. I did look at the database. Looking for a cheap board, how are the kt133 vs the kt133a? On board sound is a plus, onboard vga nor agp needed (i have a rage pro pci layin around). Where do you get your stuff?

i would recommend the aopen mk-33 mobo
it has onboard sound ,a game port , and has a front side bus of 200mhz and is pirced very good.

Thanks, from an intel man.

Well I think I found a good combination at a fairly cheap price. The IWill KK266 $115 and a retail 750mhz Duron for $39. So here is the budget PC as it stands.

IWill KK266 $115
750mhz Duron $39
Globwin Flop38 $20
2 Highflow case fans $16
Mid Tower case w/ 250W power supply $60
128MB PC133 Micron ram $32
Seagate 10gig ATA100 $67
My 15' Trinitron $50
ATI Rage Pro PCI Free
CDRom, floppy, mouse, keybord $62
-------------
Sub total $399
Shipping (estimate) $100
-------------
Total $500

Building a 1ghz screamer for a quarter the price of a P4....priceless.

Door Knob (May 13, 2001 01:50 p.m.):
Well I think I found a good combination at a fairly cheap price. The IWill KK266 $115 and a retail 750mhz Duron for $39. So here is the budget PC as it stands.

IWill KK266 $115
750mhz Duron $39
Globwin Flop38 $20
2 Highflow case fans $16
Mid Tower case w/ 250W power supply $60<- objection u can get a FULL tower case with 300w PSU at www.webuildpcs.com
128MB PC133 Micron ram $32
Seagate 10gig ATA100 $67
My 15' Trinitron $50
ATI Rage Pro PCI Free
CDRom, floppy, mouse, keybord $62
-------------
Sub total $399
Shipping (estimate) $100
-------------
Total $500

Building a 1ghz screamer for a quarter the price of a P4....priceless.

I would only change two components..the PSU. You should be able to get a mid-tower such as an Antec KS282 +PP303X PSU for around the same money. A PSU is not a good place to save a nickel.

The Iwill is capable of some very high bus speeds, so make certain that you are putting only quality PC133 CAS-2 RAM in the machine.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

T

I would reccomend mine ( but the 5 case fans are not needed yet.. hehe )

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff CAS 2)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Eraser X2 Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live Value
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

that is a good deal! go for it! should got to a gig for 100bucks.

Megahurtz (May 13, 2001 03:25 p.m.):
I would only change two components..the PSU. You should be able to get a mid-tower such as an Antec KS282 +PP303X PSU for around the same money. A PSU is not a good place to save a nickel.

The Iwill is capable of some very high bus speeds, so make certain that you are putting only quality PC133 CAS-2 RAM in the machine.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

T

I was actually probably gunna change that, not to a full tower as was suggested though. That just wouldn't be real good for the kid getting it. I'll probably have him spend the extra $20 and get an antec case w/ 300W psu. The ram should OC pretty good. I'm ordering it off the same site I that got mine and it runs at 150+ fsb at cas2 no problem.

Back