• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

post but no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SYT_Shadowfax

here's my rig: 1400athlon, via kx133 chipset, 192mb memory and winxp pro.

I had so many viruses that I simply formatted the HDD to get it over with.

Afterwards I did a fresh install of WinXP with another computer on to the hdd.

However, when i put the drive back into the original and turned it on it simply the the mem count, detect hdd and cdrom, cpu detec and then, in the second screen of the post process, simply blacked out and the only thing you see is a cursor blinking and nothing else.

I thought this was strange but decided to try with another hdd that's working on yet another computer and put it in the first pc to see if it would boot up. It does the exact same thing!
Now I'm really lost cause that has never happened to me before and have not been able to use that computer for over a week.
Please please help me!

Why are you installing windows on hdd's in other computers and then transferring them to this computer? That works sometimes without trouble (especially with 2k), but not always. Have you tried installing it with the drive in that computer?

It is also possible you have a virus in your bios. Maybe you should flash it.

thanks for answering. I found the problem and it was that the BIOS had a setting called OS type. It was set to DOS and obviously it wouldn't boot to winXP! Now i feel kinda stupid!

Thanks again!

LOL!
I thought it was the CPU, memory or mobo. I tested with MEMTEST86 and as it came out stable i knew it was something else... sometimes these problems are so simple one doesn't even consider it!

Back