• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can the pencil trick fry you cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i tried the pencil trick too and..think of it this way. i had to return the processor for a replacement

Yes, you can fry your cpu if you interconnect the L1's. Many AMD's have been destroyed this way...

when i first did it instead of showing my proc at 1000 it was saying 900, i took of the hsf and looked at it closely there were some stray marks. erased and did it again, no more incorect speed settings.

MidnightClocker (May 14, 2001 12:16 a.m.):
Say if you accidently connect the 2 bridges together would it fry?

lol ya you could fry the crap out of it
like they say dont cross the streams :)

when i did mine I used a large magnifying glass to look for stray lead marks
just be very cautiouse & look @ it with some magnifacation
if any lead lines are contacting each other erase them all & start again
what worked best for me was
a click # 2 lead .04 diameter & then i sharpened it by rubing the lead on an angle on some scratch paper worked great had to resharpen
for each new line

Oni (May 14, 2001 12:19 a.m.):
I don't think so. It probably just wouldn't post, or you might get only odd or only even multipliers or something like that.
I tried that on my duron just to check whats happend i used the pencil and linked together all bridges wrong way so they where shortcutted. Nothing happened...... only thing was that the multipilere still was locked. temp and all was normal didnt hurt it at all so it wont fry it if u accedental shortcut one of the bridges.

You may wonder why i did it?? I was so F***ing pissed on the damn thing because when i unlocked the cpu it wouldnt last more than a maximum of 2 days.... But now that i found some better pencil it lasts:)

HB lead in a mechanical pensile worked for me. And I did cross them by ascendent the Multiplier got stuck @700 redid it and have never had any problems

Back