• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Signs of PSU about to die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Starting today, the lights on my Nexus would dim and the fans would also slow down alot. Is this a sign that I may need to replace my PSU soon?

Yeah.... I have the same question, I have a PIII [933MHz]/Intel 810e MOBO and a 70Watt PSU in a Micro ATX [Gateway] Case. The problem is that when I plug it in and hit the power switch...

It does nothing! After a few minutes it turns on, and turns back off after about 2 minutes. It then turns back on/off. ANY HINTS?

Thanks In Advance! :)

Time to get a 350w Fortron.
130903-fortron.JPG

If it works, there you go, if it doesn't, something else is wrong(or your system is too much load for a 350w Fortron(which is unlikely given the specs in your sig)) and keep the Fortron as a spare.

you can't really tell if your psu is "dying" cause it could just as well be the mobo power phase circuity thats giving you ****...

but you know that feeling when you smell that weird burning smell and you know that running them dual xeons on the m-atx 150w psu just wasn't such a good idea?

fafnir said:
but you know that feeling when you smell that weird burning smell and you know that running them dual xeons on the m-atx 150w psu just wasn't such a good idea?

So THAT'S why my dual Xeon with a 10-HDD RAID 5 configuration and Radeon 9800P is unstable.... :D

NiTrO bOiE said:
Starting today, the lights on my Nexus would dim and the fans would also slow down alot. Is this a sign that I may need to replace my PSU soon?

Is it just the fans connected to the nexus?

Nexus's (the early ones anyway, not sure about the newer ones) have been known to be flakey...

Re: Re: Signs of PSU about to die?

gingo said:

Is it just the fans connected to the nexus?

Nexus's (the early ones anyway, not sure about the newer ones) have been known to be flakey...

It's only the 2 Delta screamers that are actually bogging down when the lights drain. They are rated at 1.5A which is the max for the nexus. I've been running them on the Nexus since December 2002, I don't know why it would start giving me trouble now.

If you supect that your PSU is going bad than you should take it out and test that the voltages are correct. If the voltages are not with 10% of what they should be than you defently need a new PSU. If you are looking to get a new PSU than you should get an Antec True Power, becouse with Power supplys you get what you pay for. (I had a bad experence with a Fortron 350w.)

Back