• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to dl updates from wu and burn a cd with it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heavy666

ppl, I have a pc that have no access to the internet and I have a windows xp pro sp 1 on it... once I tried to put a 56k modem on it and when I tried to dl the updates from windows update I couldt cause there was a lot of then and I could have this pc turned of for a long time..
so I wondering if there is a way to dl all updates and put it into a cdrom..

thanks.

www.windowsupdates.com

The utility is not the only way to update windows, infact i dont even do it as it often installs patches/fixes for things that i do not have.

I'm pretty sure that when you download a fix it puts it somewhere on your PC, i guess you just gotta find it.

You can manually install updates here. Just select your specific product in the dropdown box, and you'll be presensted with a list of downloads and updates for it. You then can download these to a specific location on your HD and run them later (or burn them).

JigPu

how i did it...

i ran the windows update thing and made a list of all the updates numbers it said i didn't have like Q323255 and so on.
then on that same page, down at the bottom left it should "windows update catalog" under See also. ( if it does not show the catalog link, click on "personalize windows update" under other options and put a check in the box for display the update catalog, then click the save settings button in the upper right.)
after you click on windows update catalog you'll get a choice;
"find updates for microsoft windows operatind systems" or
"find driver updates for hardware devices". clicking the first one will take you to the updates search page.
select your OS & language then click on advanced search options and uncheck everything except for critical updates and service packsor anything else you want. you can search now and get a list of all of the updates and select what you want to download. (here is where i check my list of Q123xxx or KB123xxx to get the right ones).
you should see about 46 results, for me only about 27 of those were needed= about 37MB.
after picking the ones you want click on "go to download basket" and on the next page click "browse" to select your directory where you want the files.
after that the "download now" button will be available, click it and watch the grass grow, or play freecell to kill the time..
when its done you have a folder with all the updates you downloaded, each in its own folder, ready to install or burn to cd or whatever.
it worked for me, last reinstall i only had 2 new updates to download.

now, would you be able to "slipstream" these in with your windows XP cd so you can install all of them at the same time?

right on, but that looks like it only works for a network install. I want to combine all this onto the XP install cd, if it would all fit.

the way i understand it is that you would set up the sp1 slipstream and then do all that with the updates.
when you burn it just use the modified i386 with the svcpack folder, that should have all of the needed update files.
i burned the cd this way i just have not used it yet. (so it may not work, but hey i have been wrong before)
came to 546mb on the cd.
adding all of those lines to dosnet.inf was a bit tiresome though.

yea i started to try to attempt this and was so tired i couldn't continue on with it.

let me know if it works or not. If it does I may attempt to make an effort to try to find the time and do it.

lol

Except for the critical security updates and an occasional performance patch I need for a specific problem that needs immediate attention, I just wait for the next SP release.

I know the corporate IT manager has to keep up on updates daily and this isn't an option for a mission critical system.

I just don't really trust MS as I've seen just as many FUBARed third party apps as not when it comes to their prolific releases of patches for bad patches.

Back