• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 2.4c First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tn2003

Registered
Hello everyone I am currently buying stuff for my first intel comp. So far I have ordered this stuff:

Abit IC7-G
Intel 2.4C

I need help on memory now. I plan on getting the OZC pc4000 gold, but i dont know if I should buy 1x512mb or 2x256mb. I only have $260 left and I would like your advice. Thanks

I plan to overclock and in my sig are the stuff im gonna bring on over.

You most definitely want 2 memory sticks on a 865/875 motherboard. They are nothing special at all in single channel mode.

yeah i was thinking that. I guess im gonna go dual channel but now the question is should i get the 512mb now and get an another one 2 months later? Or wil 2x256mb be enough? Im a full time college student so im poor. Help plz, Thanks

To be honest you could get by on 256mb if you really had to. But 512MB is a lot more resonable and 1GB is no overkill these days. You can try buying one 512MB now and one later, but you never know if you will get the same ram if you do that. Dual channel configurations on Intel boards strongly prefer exactly matched sticks and buying both at the same time is highly advisable.

The trick to engineering an optimal Intel system is in (properly) guessing the clock rate your cpu will end up allowing. If your cpu is a good one it would do 3300MHz. This would be a fsb of 275MHz. You then run the 5:4 memory ratio for 220x2 MHz. This is very feasible with the Buffalo PC3700 ram that is only $99 per 512MB at newegg. This is probably what I would do in your situation.

If your cpu is really good, you might need 300fsb to max it out. At this level it might pay off to try more expensive memory types like the OCZ, even running 5:4. Running the cheaper ram would entail using the 3:2 ratio to stay within its limits, and at this point the perfromance is starting to suffer a substantial amount.

Board has four ram slots I believe. I say buy 2 256 now, then you have alot of options... 2 more 256, 2 512's and sell your 256 (probably will be the best imho), or 2 512s and keep the 256's for 1.5GB ram. :D

Lithan said:
Board has four ram slots I believe. I say buy 2 256 now, then you have alot of options... 2 more 256, 2 512's and sell your 256 (probably will be the best imho), or 2 512s and keep the 256's for 1.5GB ram. :D
I would not put 4 stick in if you can buy just 2x512. i tried 4 sticks of ram in my p4c800 and my overclock went from 3.42ghz down to 3180mhz or 285fsb down to 265fsb. ive tested all for sticks to run higher then ddr465 at 2-2-2-5 so they were all good sticks of ram but i have no clue as to why with 4 sticks my overclocked droped so much. i thought perhaps i needed more ram voltage so i gave her more but that didnt work as well. i dont know why having all 4 slots filled hurt the system so bad so i tried 3 slots and my overclock went back up to 285fsb or 3.42ghz but then i was not running in dual channel no more so im not going to keep it at 3x256mb but i sure do need more then 512mb :( o well i will just have to sell off my 256 sticks and get 2x512 later.

you can try 4 sticks if you wish but it might hurt your overclock and it might not you will just have to try yourself.

Well hmm. I just got an extra $100 so now I have $360 and im pretty sure my bro will lend me $80 more. The question is should I get the 2x512mb or should i get the 2x256mb and Audigy 2 oem. I dont know if the ic7-g onboard sound is good enough. What should i do?

Some of the best results on Abits are coming from Kingston HyperX PC3000. I think it's about 122 per 512MB stick at newegg. The Kingston Value Ram PC3200 CL2.5 does pretty well too, typically being a BH5. I can't see spending more than these types of ram cost, so I'd get a GB of one or the other and be done with it.

The big difference in performance is when you can get on the 1:1 ratio. You likely won't do that with any of these ram types so dropping back to 5:4 brings the fsb down to a level good BH5 Winbond types can hack pretty welll. Buy what you like, but I love having 1GB of ram vs 512MB and cant see paying obscene prices for it.

Back