• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill DVD266-R, what kind of hs should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

currently using Millenium Glaciator I and one intel Piii 1.4g's hsf to cool my piii650s @ 900. however, the rig isn't stable and temp is high, so i am in need of a good pair of hsf that willt oc the chips to around 1g. Having my eyes on SK6+, but don't know if it will fit or not. thanks

The SK6+ won't cool any better than a Glaciator I. I'd say if you replace the stock Intel HSF with a SK6+ and still have overclocking issues, your problems lie elsewhere or else the chips just aren't capable.

When I had this board I was able to fit two Thermalright AX7s with no problem. I'm sure that just about any socket 370 heatsink will fit.

hoytron said:
When I had this board I was able to fit two Thermalright AX7s with no problem. I'm sure that just about any socket 370 heatsink will fit.

two AX7?? wow, that'z impressive! i mean, that'z a 80mm fan size hs... Well, i guess i will purchase one sk6+ just to see what will happen. thankz for the advises.

The SK-6+ is a very good heatsink. I'm sure you'll like it. You can actually mod it for 80mm fans, fairly easily. Running 80mm fans GREATLY reduces noise, compared to 60mm screamers. For instructions, see my article called "Step-by-Step: Building a Quiet PC from the Ground Up." There is a link in my sig.

i run a pair of zalman tnps6000 (the flower) on my dual P3 boards, and my dual AMD borad, work great :D

it is really frastrating, the board is not stable. It passed 24hr prime tourture @ 933/1.75 with 44c/42c. But somehow, the puter just isn't stable, i mean, i can leave it on folding for days without anything to happen, then next minute it just reboots it self for soem reason... I just don't know which part of it is at fault. the ram is DDR, which should have no problem handling a mere 142 fsb. I use an antec 350w for the power source and one WD 80g and 52x cd-rw sum up the total. A~~~where i do wrong??

it is really frastrating, the board is not stable. It passed 24hr prime tourture @ 933/1.75 with 44c/42c. But somehow, the puter just isn't stable, i mean, i can leave it on folding for days without anything to happen, then next minute it just reboots it self for soem reason... I just don't know which part of it is at fault. the ram is DDR, which should have no problem handling a mere 142 fsb. I use an antec 350w for the power source and one WD 80g and 52x cd-rw sum up the total. A~~~where i do wrong??

my feeling is it's the antec 350w psu...i have read that these are known to be only OK psu's....no where near as good as the antec tp 380 for instance (or for that matter, a fortron 350)...

you are powering Two cpus with this psu right?

it also could be that the cpu's are of borderline stability at that voltage and that speed...

i used to have a 700@933 that required 1.82 volts...and it STILL would occasionally reboot...

most o/c'd p3's at 933 that i recall required a minimum of 1.75volts as i remember---check the cpu database

dustybyrd said:
my feeling is it's the antec 350w psu...i have read that these are known to be only OK psu's....no where near as good as the antec tp 380 for instance (or for that matter, a fortron 350)...

you are powering Two cpus with this psu right?

I have to disagree. Considering these are just dual P3's, I don't think the PSU is the bottleneck. If this were a dual AMD system, on the other hand, I would be completely convinced the PSU was insufficient.

I think the CPU's are just overclocked past their limit.

I have to disagree. Considering these are just dual P3's, I don't think the PSU is the bottleneck. If this were a dual AMD system, on the other hand, I would be completely convinced the PSU was insufficient.

I think the CPU's are just overclocked past their limit.

yeah, upon further consideration i think you are probably right...

i had editted that post and added that bit about voltage levels and the 933 speed...

even my 700@933 would occasionally reboot or crash (1 time in 5-10 days)...and that was probably the cpu....i was at 1.82 volts...many of these p3's required 1.85+volts to hit 933+ speeds stable

Hundreds have had problems with this board, myself included. It is very particular about RAM. I hear that samsung works the best, but I never got it to work. I would ditch it and get the MSI board. You will thank yourself for doing so. The DVD266 should be recalled.

ok, but how do you guys explain the fact the rig indeed did pass the torture test over 24hr? I just dont get it...i think the most reasonable explanation is the board itself is at fault...well, i gotta start saving for a dual AMD anyway and pIII is just pure slow nowadays...

Back