• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!< I screwed up L1 bridge connection!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumper

Registered
My first time doing this and I used a conductive pen. The ink on a fine
needle idea didn't work so I went to a toothpick. The stuff flowed like wine
and connected adjacent as well as opposite contacts. Does anyone know
a safe solvent to remove the conductive ink?
YIKES. Burnt up CPU is not what I had in mind. Can I use a razor to cut a notch between the contacts as I see was done in manufacturing (why don't they just leave the damn connectors alone?) I need the help on an expert here or I can see smoke rising from my first home built computer (damn)!!!
Another thought, can I use a conductivity tester to see if my removal is successful, or will it harm the cpu? God, I'm way over my head and I haven't even bought the motherboard yet, I want to go back to Kansas Auntie Emm!
Thanks, Jumper

Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip

To apply the silver, I take a sheet of paper wet a spot with rubbing alcohol and put some silver ink on it. The alcohol thins the ink a tad and keeps it from drying out while I apply it with a needle.

Jumper (May 15, 2001 10:02 a.m.):
My first time doing this and I used a conductive pen. The ink on a fine
needle idea didn't work so I went to a toothpick. The stuff flowed like wine
and connected adjacent as well as opposite contacts. Does anyone know
a safe solvent to remove the conductive ink? Thanks,
Jumper

I screwed mine up as well, same way. Same brand of pen, I'd guess as well. CircuitWorks conductive pen?

Anyway, I tried rubbing alcohol and the silver did not come off. I tried using a razor to grind away the "short circuits" between the bridges. I thought it had worked, but *sniff sniff sniff*; the Athlon I had burnt to a crisp and right at those connection points - after removing the fan, I saw the smoke... Obviously I didn't scrape it off. Motherboard is 100% fine, however.

I bought a replacement 1Ghz Athie and have used the old one as a "practice chip". Somehow it seems easier to apply graphite, but if a mistake is made there you've got to remove all of it - no easy task. (My new Athlon is not unlocked, I'm sticking to FSB overclocking and count my blessings...!)

This has happened to me a few times. Use 3in1 oil and a q-tip to remove the conductive pen. then use windex to remove the oil, then use achol to remove the moisture. If you will use a sewing neddle you will be able to connect the bridges. use a magnifing glass to see better.

Back