• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VRXP v1.1 + XP1700 DLT3C JIUHB = ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spuc123

Hello fellow forum members. This is my first post. :) I just bought a XP1700 DLT3C JIUHB to upgrade my old GA-7VRXP ver1.1. I also have a stick of 512 MB 266MHz ram.

Is it possible to run the memory at 133MHz, the FSB at 166MHz, and change the ratio to something higher than 12.5? If so, how would I be able to do that? Do I need to short two holes in the socket to get the higher ratios?

Right now I'm running the CPU at 133 x 12.5 but I think I can do better than that. Thanks!!

When you set the FSB to 166 you need to set the DDR to 266 in the BIOS, only prob is that the 266 setting in the BIOS actually means 2xFSB so when at 166FSB it will be 333MHz for the DDR. Your DDR may manage to run at 333 but will depend on how good it is. What I suggest you do before going to ant hassle is set the DDR speed to 333 in the BIOS and keep your FSB at 133. If all goes well then you know your DDR is capable of running 333.
Then you will need to either do the routine to get to 166FSB or Flash to F6 BIOS.

As for getting multis of over 12.5x you only have 2 options, first is to alter the L3 bridges to default your CPU to a different multi or place small U shaped pieces of wire in the sockets to do the same thing.
You will see how to do either of these at www.ocinside.de

Hood

Thanks Hood for the info.

I tried shorting the socket using a piece of wire and my system wouldn't boot up no matter what dip switch settings I used. My monitor wouldn't sync so I know nothing was starting.

Maybe I just have to get a nforce 2 mobo so I can up the FSB and keep the ratios down.

Even though the VRXP will overclock, it is not the greatest board for extreame overclocks. With prime conditions your boad MAY hit 166FSB. The best thing to do is test your 1700+ in a nforce2 board and see what its limits are. Also test your ram as well. If all is well then you should be able to set your fsb at 153, then reboot and then re-enter bios and up it to 166. You must do this routine every time you turn your system on.

I have a feeling it is your ram holding you back.

Compman
Dont know if youve seen but I am running the Rev1.0 with the CD NorthBridge at 166FSB, and with F6 it stays even on cold boot:cool: I never tried it before as all my research said it couldnt be done with the CD, only possible with the CE.
Hood

Back