• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What athlon CPU to buy for best bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nadk

I am in a quandry about buying a 1G/1.2G or 1.33GHz athlon. I do not plan to do any unusual cooling such as water, but just use a good fan/heatsink combo, on a abit kt7a MB.

If I can keep the heat down I may play with voltage increases.

What do you guys suggest?

Tachyon (May 17, 2001 11:28 a.m.):
On a percent basis the 1.0GHz may be the best "bet".

Must is be an AXIA or AXIA Y? Or any 1GHz athlon?

The CPU should be either an AVIA or AXIA. Either should overclock well. I've read that the first digit of the third line can make a difference but I haven't seen conclusive proof personally.

I emphatically point to the 1ghz axia @266, im running at 1.33ghz right now rock solid and have posted at 11 x 140 aircooled!!!!! 33% oc is an accomplishment for me , i saved 75$ canadian going for the 1 ghz vs the 1.33 ghz. GL!

nadk (May 17, 2001 11:42 a.m.):
Tachyon (May 17, 2001 11:28 a.m.):
On a percent basis the 1.0GHz may be the best "bet".

Must is be an AXIA or AXIA Y? Or any 1GHz athlon?

Yes. Your best 'bang for the buck' IMHO is a 1Ghz 'AXIA' with a letter as the first character of the trird line. 'Y' and 'K' have been confirmed.

These processors may give you an initial advantage in a per-centage overclock. The true determing factor in a successful overclock is the knowledge and patience of the person making the attempt.

T

My AXIA 1.33 has a letter 'D' as the first character of the third line. I wonder how bad or good this is?

Geobronc (May 17, 2001 04:26 p.m.):
My AXIA 1.33 has a letter 'D' as the first character of the third line. I wonder how bad or good this is?
You should oc it and tell us :) Upload your results to the cpu database :p

'D' 1.33g AXIA Running smooth at 1464 (11x133)
1.79 V
ASUS AV7133a
Generic PC133 256mb

Hmmm, Could it get higher? I may try, should I try?

GEOBRONC

Back